What's new

Enjoy the history and research before the hunt?

Joined
Feb 23, 2009
Messages
364
Reaction score
8
Golden Thread
0
Location
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils
Wow!
I've always been a sort of nostalgic history buff.
And since I've got into this MD stuff....I'm learning so much about my local area history.....and it's absolutely FASCINATING.

Who'd a thunk that so many interesting things went on between the 1850's and 1930's.
And much of it has utterly VANISHED.
And if it weren't for a few resourceful folks who either wrote limited-print books, posted a tidbit of history online, or passed the info word-of-mouth....it would disappear forever!

There were hotels that were the 'Happenest' place goin'........and they're GONE.  To heck with big railroad.....there was plenty of 'short line' activity in our state as well.  I've even found old rail routes that the 'Ice Barons' built from the lakeside 'cut & load' houses to the distribution facilities.
MAN.....ice had to be POPULAR in the late 1800's early 1900's if it was able to purchase the labor and engine for a rail line!  And it all vanished by the 19-teens.

Logging?  We did it.  The mills?  GONE.  But if you know where they were....they were a bustling business!

What about Speak Easies?  Track them down fellas!  Some still stand today as legit bars/taverns etc...
But then there are others that......if ya didn't know it......were very busy Speak Easies.  Today?  There just big old homes.  Or abandoned buildings.  Or Bed & Breakfasts.

I don't have gear yet.....but I'm having a BLAST researching hunt locations!


-
 
That's the reason I love to hunt caches - the research!
 
Swinging a coil vs. swinging a club.
Golf balls kill,
Coils recover!

Yep, got a real distaste for the golfers out there, what do they know 'bout the ground they tear up with those big woods?

You're in the right hobby now, Gary. No Mulligans here man!
 
Massbaycolonist said:
Watch out for those ghosts.......

I would LOVE to see a ghost!!!

An early settler....

And Indian....

A Soldier.....

Doesn't matter - I'd be out-of-my-gourd THRILLED!


-
 
Gary in Pennsylvania,
it is enjoyable doing the research and finding out
so much that has been forgotten by many.

Once you get your equipment, and learn it, you will
start finding things. :o

I enjoy the research, I enjoy the hunt, but I really also enjoy
trying to find out info on items I have found.

Best of luck with the hobby; hope you find a bunch.

have a good un........
SHERMANVILLE
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom