nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Folks, HillBilly and Myself was able to get out to some detecting on a couple homesites. The first up was a site I found recently and that we did some swinging on a couple weeks ago where Hillbilly found a very nice 1833 Large Cent and A Super Find, War of 1812 era Militia rifleman button, this is a button very rare to be found in Kentucky.

This time out we dug about a dozen flat buttons, a ball button, suspender clips, a old pocket knife, indian head penny and Gold wedding band.

best find of this day was the Gold Wedding band, stamped inside "Solid Gold". I am pretty sure these rings were made in Rhode Island between 1898-1905. I took the ring to a good friend of mine that is a jeweler and he tested the ring at 10k to 12k, to my surprise he offered me $100. for it. I told him it was a very tempting offer and it sure would help the wallet, but I enjoy this hobby for it's historical value and all that We learn from it. So I gave the ring to the Landowner and will be giving him other finds from the site to give him something he can enjoy of the historical significance of his Land. It was very nice to see the excitement when I gave him the ring, I also told him where he could go get the hundred bucks for the ring if he chose, but he was only interested in keeping it and showing it for conversation of the old home site. he now is trying to find other sites in the area for us to Metal Detect, which is priceless to me.

The last home site we tried our luck on today had been pounded quite a bit before so we wasn't expecting to find much but with some determination of giving our best We ended the day with some suspender clips, several Henry rifle casings with the dual shot rimfire, a underwear button and two piece button that would had been super find to me. It was a Eagle button with the back mark of Geo.Floyd / Philadelphia. unfortunately the face is missing probably damaged by a plow, there is only a very faded outline of the Eagle on the front without a visible shield.

Hopefully soon we can enjoy some more time in the field and save more History, Bill

sorry for the poor quality of my pics I wil try to fix them tomorrow.
Hillbilly has a couple pics of his finds hopefully he can share and I hope not to upset anyone but I posted the militia button and LC that hillbilly found a couple weeks ago on this thread too just to keep it together.

Attachments

• IMG_0257.JPG
    IMG_0257.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0254.JPG
    IMG_0254.JPG
    481.2 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0256.JPG
    IMG_0256.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0243.JPG
    IMG_0243.JPG
    326.5 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Upvote 9
Love the militia button , the large cent is sharp (more pics of both please ) great solid gold ring !!!

Would have been VERY HARD to have given that ring up!!! but it sure gave you guy's Karmas a big boost!!! Great digs!!!

Great finds! The LC looks to have quite a lot of detail yet. Good call on the gifts to the land owner. That will pay you back for sure. Is your avatar pic from Mill Springs, by chance? I grew up in Monticello. Nice seeing some Ky relics.

Very nice finds, very smart move giving the landowner the ring. It's nice, must of felt great seeing the smile on his face and imagine how he feels now having a piece of his property like that.

Nice ring, button, & other relics Bill!! You & HB did well as usual. Did the eagle button without the face count as to who buys lunch-LOL. HH, Q.

I agree handing over some finds is good karma. A wise "investment" now he is "working" for you...your research department.
Once a single musket ball got a new property, another time a few coppers and some plain flat buttons got one guy putting in a "good word" to his neighbours. And BTW way I did show the guy the 2 silvers I got there, but simply said I'd like to keep those.

Hopefully that ring will get you a great place to hunt.

"I enjoy this hobby for it's historical value and all that We learn from it. So I gave the ring to the Landowner and will be giving him other finds from the site to give him something he can enjoy of the historical significance of his Land."

Great post and awesome finds Guys! Very nice of you for turning that gold ring over to the owners and some future relics too. I think we all need to give something back to property owners who are gracious enough to let us detect. :thumbsup:
Congrats,
Doug

Nice finds! Great public relations move, that's going to come back in Spades...or maybe GOLD that you can keep! Awesome and congrats!

Would have been VERY HARD to have given that ring up!!! but it sure gave you guy's Karmas a big boost!!! Great digs!!!

Thanks, I have always tried to give back to those that give me the opportunity to show my respect to this hobby and now that I found this ring and gave it to the landowner, I have been asked to find a two other rings that have been lost recently so there may be update soon on the ring recovery.

Great finds! The LC looks to have quite a lot of detail yet. Good call on the gifts to the land owner. That will pay you back for sure. Is your avatar pic from Mill Springs, by chance? I grew up in Monticello. Nice seeing some Ky relics.

the LC does have some great detail, luckily it was found in a field that hasn't seen much fertilizer. Good call on Mill Springs, yep we stopped in there on a family trip heading to Somerset.

Very nice finds, very smart move giving the landowner the ring. It's nice, must of felt great seeing the smile on his face and imagine how he feels now having a piece of his property like that.

Thanks and yea the landowner really likes talking about history so when I gave him the ring and a few relics it added facts with story.

Thanks Quindy, LOL and yes right after I found the button Hillbilly actually catered Lunch to the field, Now that's Button apprieciation right there!!! LOL

Nice ring, button, & other relics Bill!! You & HB did well as usual. Did the eagle button without the face count as to who buys lunch-LOL. HH, Q.

Thanks Quindy, LOL and yes right after I found the button Hillbilly actually catered Lunch to the field, Now that's Button apprieciation right there!!! LOL

That is some nice finds. Always like to find a coin of any type, when I am out in the field.
Finding a gold ring, would make my day. You did good.

RelicsVirginia

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back