Entertaining, I hope!

excav

Jul 16, 2011
northwest coast of ohio
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This is a story from my imagination and I dont want anyone to think its true.
A long time ago when he was in the excavating business one of his accounts would need a house wrecked. This was one of those occasions. The house was a large farmhouse located on a large peice of property that was going to be developed. It was in a suberb of a large city but there were no other houses in sight due to hills and vegitation. This was the first time he was going to do the entire job alone. The builder supplied a pair of 40 yard dumpsters for the wreckage. The house was big enough that it would not fit in the two dumpsters in one trip. The builder would call to have them picked up, emptied and returned. For that reason it took a long to get the job done.
The house did not have a full basement, instead one half basement and half crawl space. The idea was to get part of the house smashed down into the basement and useing the weight of the machine to crush it into the smallest peices possible thereby taking the least space in the dumpster. I should mention the condition of the house. It was grown up with weeds around the outside and some of the windows were broken. Someone had really done a good job of cleaning it out. The cupboard doors and a lot of the interior doors were missing as well. There was no plumbibg left and everything of even questionable value was gone. He expected to find nothing but the usual choking dust that come with such jobs.
After the dumpsters were emptied a few times, sometimes it took a week to get them emptied, the last of the house was in the basement and smashed. The block walls were still standing on one exterior wall and the wall between the basement and crawl space. These were saved to load the wreckage aginst and would be the last things loaded into the dumpsters to help hold the rest of the stuff from blowing out. As he was trying to get the last little bit of wreckage in the bucket the side tooth caught the wall at the crawl space. It collapsed exposing the dirt standing behind it and two old style aluminum coolers that had been buried behind the wall. There was a thin peice of plywood on top of them covered by a couple inches of soil. (It had a dirt floor. The basement had concrete.)
I should tell you here a little about one of the daydreams he had. As he was flying on a business trip to Arizona for the first time he thought absent mindedly about gold mines and other places where wealth can be dug out of the ground. And how cool it would be to own such a place and have family and friends come to visit and try their luck at finding something really good.
Back to my imaginary story.
Looking carefully around to make sure no one was watching he got off the machine and opened the first cooler finding nothing. Nuts too late! He then opened the second cooler and in was an a assortment of metal boxes. The kind bandaids and cigaretts used to come in. A lot of them. Carefully opening one of the cans he could see paper money rolled neatly inside. Taking the cooler out of the ground, again looking around, he put the cooler in the trunk of his car and went back to work.
When he got home late that afternoon he put the cooler in the garage and said nothing to anyone, trying to think of the most fun way to handle this. Later he told his wife he wanted to have some people over because he found something and thought they could have a lot of fun with it. Seven family and future family were invited. They all thought it was a little odd ,being a week nite , but said they would come.
After everyone was there and seated around a large, round picknick table he got the cooler out and told them what happened that day. Taking the first can out of the cooler he handed it to the nearest guest and said "open it". Out came $50s and $100s. A lot of them! He continued passing the cans around the table until they were all opened, by that time there was a large pile of crumpled bills in the middle of the table. Also in the bottom of the cooler were a couple rolls of half dollars.
And that's the end of my imaginary story for today!

OP
OP
excav

excav

Jul 16, 2011
northwest coast of ohio
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks. Seeing that there is some interest I will finish it when I have time. There is a little more to tell.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread