Entrance to my escape

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
This doesnā€™t show much (a few hedge balls) and a path. This is the entrance to my 12.5 acre timber. This is my gateway to get away. Deer hunt, creek walk, observe nature, even cook a few meals. It isnā€™t quite Thoreauā€™s Walden, but it keeps me centered and grateful. This was shot yesterday. Iā€™ll be there again today. Have a great day!

Attachments

• IMG_2295.jpeg
    IMG_2295.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 43
OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Thatā€™s a nice size area for a hideout. Iā€™ve got 3 acres of woods and 3 thatā€™s open. Iā€™ve thought about building some sort of shelter in the woods, like just a roof with a picnic table. A converted grain bin would be really nice. View attachment 2113242
Those are nice. Iā€™ve also seen them made from old wire corn cribs.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only thing around where I live are three small creeks that converge off the eastern Rockies that are narrowly wooded. The trails they made along them do get you away from all the urban development going on. My grandad born in 1892 spent almost his entire life in Burlington, Iowa with the exception of touring trenches in France as a Doughboy. He was a marching maniac. When we'd go down to Burlington he'd always get me out hiking along the bluffs of the Mississippi. We'd often go to Black Hawks cave and go into the back of the cave for a cool drink of spring water pouring out. Another place we'd often go was Crapo Park, were he was a care taker keeping the park clean and maintained. He was big on nature and saw no need for the modern ways. He never owed a car or ever had a driver's license. So much of how I see of society and the world around me had been seeded in me by that man. He was a tough old dude and health nut, who wouldn't hold back his opinion on anyone. I still think about him all the time and often feel he's with me along my escapes.

Attachments

• grandpa young.jpg
    grandpa young.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 4
  • grandpa 2 old.jpg
    grandpa 2 old.jpg
    539.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

vonfatman

Jul 21, 2023
KCMO Area
Primary Interest:
Other
Mr. tamrock,
That is a wonderful story. I hope everyone in your family hears it many times before you leave here.
btw.....I used to sell a few "Tamrock" hydraulic breakers that were on the end of an excavator boom (in place of the bucket).

I am fond of this spot as it is loaded with old scrapers etc...I leave them right where I found them and get to enjoy them every time I take a chill.

vfm

Attachments

• IMG_6600.jpeg
    IMG_6600.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 7

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr. tamrock,
That is a wonderful story. I hope everyone in your family hears it many times before you leave here.
btw.....I used to sell a few "Tamrock" hydraulic breakers that were on the end of an excavator boom (in place of the bucket).

I am fond of this spot as it is loaded with old scrapers etc...I leave them right where I found them and get to enjoy them every time I take a chill.

vfm
I worked for Tamrock mining equipment from 1986 to around 1991 in California, Colorado, Florida and Georgia, just before Sandvik took over everything. I know they had a division dealing in construction and I think I recall the hydraulic breakers they manufactured.

Attachments

• 20200518_083629.jpg
    20200518_083629.jpg
    546.8 KB · Views: 7

vonfatman

Jul 21, 2023
KCMO Area
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome. Your handle had gotten me thinking! The merger was huge. Mergers / buyouts are very disruptive to people' lives. I imagine you left at a good time.

vfm

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
This doesnā€™t show much (a few hedge balls) and a path. This is the entrance to my 12.5 acre timber. This is my gateway to get away. Deer hunt, creek walk, observe nature, even cook a few meals. It isnā€™t quite Thoreauā€™s Walden, but it keeps me centered and grateful. This was shot yesterday. Iā€™ll be there again today. Have a great day!
Congrats current caretaker/steward !

Those Osage balls idicate a source for bow staves.

Thoreau was just occupying an associates property on the cheap.
And his former site today has nothing over yours for peace and what passes for quiet in more natural nature!

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Congrats current caretaker/steward !

Those Osage balls idicate a source for bow staves.

Thoreau was just occupying an associates property on the cheap.
And his former site today has nothing over yours for peace and what passes for quiet in more natural nature!
I have made a couple of crude, yet functional, osage bows.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread