Dirty Digger Doug

Jul 17, 2020
Grand Rapids Michigan
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I bought an Equinox 800 three years ago and have enjoyed it very much. While watching the multitude of metal detecting videos on YouTube I've seen time and time again that the tab that holds the coil on the shaft breaks off. I assumed it was a case of over tightening or banging around in the brush. Well after three years mine broke to. Although I use it a lot I never abuse it. So now I have to wonder if the design is insufficient for it's intended use or is there a defect. How many of us Equinox users have had their coil tabs break off? Lets get count. I'll start with 1.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had ears break on the early Explorers coil even-so it's been a defect with Minelab coils for a longtime.
But it seems to be the Equinox line that it's really been a issue with some.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The new manticores have the tabs built on the shaft not the coil. So now you just replace the shaft

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does seem like with all the tab issues minelab would construct them much better

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check with Minelab, they were doing free replacements on broken coil tabs.

OP
OP
D

Dirty Digger Doug

Jul 17, 2020
Grand Rapids Michigan
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cut a piece of plexiglass and glued it to both tabs with JB weld. Once dry I re-drilled the holes to mount to the shaft. Seems to be working. I give minelab a call.

OP
OP
D

Dirty Digger Doug

Jul 17, 2020
Grand Rapids Michigan
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked with Minelab and they replaced my coil. I think I'll make two new plexiglass pieces and JB weld them on before I start using the new coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread