What's new

My detector broke. What are my options?

Could he possibly zip tie the could with 2 or 3 ties to get him through a couple days ? / he would just have to be careful with it
Very good idea if this happens again. I might have to keep a few zip ties handy just in case.

Moreover, if the zip ties are long enough, I could also use those to fasten the pinpointer to the shaft so I don't have to carry it in my pocket.

I used paracord to hold things together and it didn't work that well.
 
Your probably home by now, but if you go to (Phil Myers) shop in Tampa, you had better call him first, he is not always there...Great prices, buy something new..He has great prices and inventory...
 
OBX WHat did you do ? I ALWAYS carry Zip ties with me for repairs . And i carry different lengths also
 
Last edited:
I had a similar situation with Equinox recently... just cable tied them back on... zip ties i think they are called stateside
 
Try using JB Quick Weld. Works on most plastics. Worth a shot for six bucks.

On Amazon, there are different kinds here. Which one should I get? Can you reply with a direct link to the product I should get?
 
Most coils are made with ABS or ABS blended with polycarbonate. Usually you can get a decent repair with ABS cement, the can of black stuff from Lowes-Depot used to weld ABS pipes. It literally dissolves into the existing plastic.

On Amazon, there are different kinds here. Which one should I get? Can you reply with a direct link to the product I should get?
@Carl-NC gave you the best advice IMHO, so I would try ABS cement, how this cement works is that it dissolves/melts the plastic which then dries as a solid repair/joint, just a little is all you need, press the pieces together firmly but don't press too hard because the plastic will be very soft, you may have to ream/drill out the bolt hole after the repair to remove any squeezed out plastic/cement to restore the hole to it's original size.

 
Try using JB Quick Weld. Works on most plastics. Worth a shot for six bucks.

@Carl-NC gave you the best advice IMHO, so I would try ABS cement, how this cement works is that it dissolves/melts the plastic which then dries as a solid repair/joint, just a little is all you need, press the pieces together firmly but don't press too hard because the plastic will be very soft, you may have to ream/drill out the bolt hole after the repair to remove any squeezed out plastic/cement to restore the hole to it's original size.

Thank you for such h an awesome explanation. I think I'm going to get that.
 
If only for a few days zip tie it back on

I decided to buy some zip ties from Amazon to be ready in the future. Moreover, I got two wall chargers (5V/2A) for my new Equinox 900 and a fanny pack to carry accessories in such as these items I purchased along with two or three plastic bags from grocery stores that I use to collect any trash I find while metal detecting the beach.

I'm going to the OBX tomorrow for the week.
 

Attachments

  • Assorted Zip Ties.webp
    Assorted Zip Ties.webp
    435.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Fanny Pack.webp
    Fanny Pack.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
  • Wall Charger 5V & 2A.webp
    Wall Charger 5V & 2A.webp
    346.2 KB · Views: 51
Did you try this yet?

My Equinox 800 is no good anymore. I just bought an Equinox 900. So my answer is I have not tried the zip ties on the 800, but I have them just in case the 900 fails sometime in the future or just in case another metal detectorist needs some help with a similar issue.
 
My Equinox 800 is no good anymore. I just bought an Equinox 900. So my answer is I have not tried the zip ties on the 800, but I have them just in case the 900 fails sometime in the future or just in case another metal detectorist needs some help with a similar issue.
I wasn't referring to the zip ties, I was referring to using the ABS cement/glue to repair the broken coil ears.
 
I wasn't referring to the zip ties, I was referring to using the ABS cement/glue to repair the broken coil ears.

No. I didn't try it on that, because I also had problems with the screen on my 800. I ended up getting a new 900.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom