Equinox 900 coil supports. Was i first ????

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well The day has come. I broke the coil support on my Nox 900 eqx11 coil. Does anyone here make or recommend the coil stiffener for these yet ????
In 35+ years I* have never broken a coil ear UNTILL I had the EQ 800. I did mend it with a strong glue and a set of coil stiffeners. I had since bought a EQ 900, and the coil ears seemed to be thicker, and that the 900 was built better overall?, and now you have a broken coil ear on your 900? Well, that's just dandy, perhaps Minelab should include a set with every machine they sell? What I did this time around was to buy a second lower shaft, one for the standard coil and one for the 6", so as not to overstress? Minelabs coils. The Nox coils are the only ones I have ever heard of breaking. Well...they did get me to spend more for a second lower shaft.

OP
OP
L

Linesider

Apr 16, 2024
SFL. Dade,keys,treasure coast
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yeahhhh they are wider at base. Flarmed out but seem about same gauge thickness. Phil over at meyers did solve my problem. After i cried it was my bday detecting trip. (Like i need a special occasion to detect). Lol. he truly went over and beyond. Fixed me up, back on beach. With that said. I am on wet sand and in water 80% the time. I’m not soft and/or delicate with tools or instruments. I will need a set stiffeners foe my 6” and 11” stat tho….

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In 35+ years I* have never broken a coil ear UNTILL I had the EQ 800. I did mend it with a strong glue and a set of coil stiffeners. I had since bought a EQ 900, and the coil ears seemed to be thicker, and that the 900 was built better overall?, and now you have a broken coil ear on your 900? Well, that's just dandy, perhaps Minelab should include a set with every machine they sell? What I did this time around was to buy a second lower shaft, one for the standard coil and one for the 6", so as not to overstress? Minelabs coils. The Nox coils are the only ones I have ever heard of breaking. Well...they did get me to spend more for a second lower shaft.
Maybe they should include a lower shaft and 2 sets of hardware with each coil like XP does(?)

It really does make changing coils a snap. 😉

Royn2751

Jan 14, 2017
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard use on my 800 took it's toll on the coil ears. I almost wore through them completely. I added the stiffiners supplied by a well known outfit and recently discovered they were cracking as well. A copious amount of epoxy has delayed the inevitable. I imagine that someone with a capable 3d printer could make something that would be more bullet proof. I don't care about a bit more weight or a Frankenstein appearance. Any suggestions out there?

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 (Stock Coil)
Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Minelab X-Terra Pro (Stock Coil)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does anyone make the stiffness for the 900??
Yes, Minelab provides the stiffness... As you have found out.
While I have not messed up the coil ears on my 800, they are extremely frail. It's pretty sad when a rubber washer wears less than coil ears. Just scandalous.
Shame Minelab continues selling weak flimsy things to turn even more profit because you will need to replace the coil. A mistake or oversight on their part? No, it's all about the $$$$$$. I won't be buying anymore Minelab stuff. This story about your 900 tells me everything I need to know and that is the fact nothing has changed about them. A shame.

Last edited:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish they could of built the 8 & 900 as well as the Safari. Built like a tank, enclosed cable, Great Balance, deep seeking, but a slow recovery speed, which came with a "Full Band Spectrum" detector. My view? Even though it's dated, the Safari still stands up there. If only the build of the EQ's could have followed.

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 (Stock Coil)
Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Minelab X-Terra Pro (Stock Coil)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wish they could of built the 8 & 900 as well as the Safari. Built like a tank, enclosed cable, Great Balance, deep seeking, but a slow recovery speed, which came with a "Full Band Spectrum" detector. My view? Even though it's dated, the Safari still stands up there. If only the build of the EQ's could have followed.
Yeah that Safari was a tank. I agree 100%. I handled one of those years ago. The Explorer I had for a short bit also featured that internal coil cabling. Heavy though. I guess all this weight reduction in detectors today is coming with a reliability hit. The Tesoro detectors were light but yet built to last. Dunno why Minelab can't do that. It has to be their choice to make them these days to fail- like everything else we pay big money for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions