Equinox competitor?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
They kinda have to, or be left behind in the dust. Minelab raised the bar.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure they got something up their sleeve. But I'll still probably buy an equinox as well as whatever they come out with. haha

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently got my hands on a 600 and have not spend much time out with it but White's, etc. needs to have something in the works. This thing works nice and is lighter than my MX Sport. Can't wait to get some real time to test it but I can't believe that the others don't have something and just working the kinks out. Take the Sport, make it multi-freq, salt water usable and lighter, good start. Time will tell.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weight doesn't bother me with the balance and White's detectors are as deep as any out with the right coil and settings, I hope they never go away from the solid metal box either witch is very nice when your tired and the thick wooded area's. I like having my detector solid built for what I paid for it and work good. HH

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prove it !
Everybody said the E-trac was deeper than other detectors especially on silver, of course I detected with people who had one and it wasn't any deeper than my MXT. People who over pay for bells and whistles don't want to admit even to themselves that their detector isn't any better than the others, I call them like I see them and if I ever overpay for something that isn't any better I will say so and not do that again. HH

Acejeckel

Jul 18, 2009
Just Outside Detroit
Detector(s) used
White's V3I, DFX, M6, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For the most part the consensus is that the v3i is superior to the Equinox. Water proof would be nice though.

I have a v3i and a vx3 and have lots of time on them and one down fall is EMI, I hunt in big citys a lot and it's a bummer sometimes you get to a site and can't get your machine to run stable. I have the equinox 800 and took it to a site with high tension power lines and was able to hunt right under them where as with my whites I had to stay hundreds of feet away. Just one of the upsides I thought I would share. Im sure every make and model of every brand has there ups and downs. Just my 2 cents. HH

Last edited:

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt with some one who uses the ENox 800, I've found targets deep that he couldn't, also found a gold ring that he had to set it up to find. It's a good machine but not the answer to all. I will buy one for about half price that hasn't been used in about 3 years when the new wonder machine comes out. Until then I'm sticking with the V3i.

TrinityBigfoot

Aug 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Gold Bug II, Whites TRX Pointpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If Whites simply repackaged the V3i, and added Bluetooth it could really challenge the EQ. The would also need to add a dumbed down mode. The detector has too many settings for a lot of users and can be intimidating. Overall, the features that the V3i has are far superior to that of the EQ800. With that being said, the EQ outshines the V3i in many areas too. They are both good detectors. It’s kind of the 4x4 vs. a sports car. Both have advantages and both work well. But one doesn’t work as well in certain situations. As for EMI, I have experienced that with the V3i. Using the right settings I was able to detect directly above a underground electrical box and retrieve targets. Both detectors are great, and someone wouldn’t go wrong purchasing either one.

ATPRoDon

Nov 26, 2007
Griffin, GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI, Whites V3i, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Have an 800 and a V3i and I like them both....I think the V3i is really hard to beat especially with the 13 inch Ultimate coil on it.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If Whites simply repackaged the V3i, and added Bluetooth it could really challenge the EQ. The would also need to add a dumbed down mode. The detector has too many settings for a lot of users and can be intimidating. Overall, the features that the V3i has are far superior to that of the EQ800. With that being said, the EQ outshines the V3i in many areas too. They are both good detectors. It’s kind of the 4x4 vs. a sports car. Both have advantages and both work well. But one doesn’t work as well in certain situations. As for EMI, I have experienced that with the V3i. Using the right settings I was able to detect directly above a underground electrical box and retrieve targets. Both detectors are great, and someone wouldn’t go wrong purchasing either one.

$1,400.00 vs $650.00 Hmmm.. The V3i isn't waterproof, weighs 4.5-lbs, and takes almost 200-hours to properly master. Another Hmmm...

OP
OP
A#1

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeh, the price difference alone says the V3i isn't a competitor at all. Might be a good detector, but i've honestly never looked past the price tag.

$650 for my Equinox 600 was steep for a working man with a family. But my Eagle Spectrum was just too dated.....Served me well for 20+ years, wanted a Whites, wanted the MX Sport, but felt the Equinox was the best bang for my buck.

Waterproof was a HUGE factor, since i only get to play on ceryain weekends, and had to sit out a lot when it rained.

The Equinox doesn't eat rather pricey batteties either, with an extra battery zip tied on, I've nkt had it go under 3 battery bars.

Sorry White's.
$1,400.00 vs $650.00 Hmmm.. The V3i isn't waterproof, weighs 4.5-lbs, and takes almost 200-hours to properly master. Another Hmmm...

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I Have an 800 and a V3i and I like them both....I think the V3i is really hard to beat especially with the 13 inch Ultimate coil on it.
try the 12 x 15 Detect coil even better

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yes so thank full that the Nox doesn't have to be adjusted and runs perfect out of the box. You will need to spend time learning all it's features also if not you just wasted your money. Sometimes the best detector in someone who doesn't know how to use it is worse than a person with the worst detector but has mastered it.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It's the operator just as much as the machine. That has been proven.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nokta or Makro keeps raising the bar with each new detector. I haven't tried the Impact/Kruzer but it's the closest price comp to the Equinox.

I think I would prefer Nokta's VDI range as well. I look to see them release a multi-freq either late this year or early next year that will compete at the Equinox price point. I probably would have jumped on the impact if it had been the same price as the Equinox.

I have no major complaints about the Equinox yet though. (Except for the 2000 lumen's backlight)

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen an xlt on facebook marketplace go for $175, if you are unwilling to pay big bucks for an equinox, there are cheaper, just as deep alternatives out there. Remember that it is mainly the detectorist and not the detector.:icon_thumleft:

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
TDI SL 12"DF+7.5"DF, GMT, MXT All Pro, Whites ProStar Phones, Whites Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well with all the hype that turned out to be bogus, It did not obsolete anything and it has a few issues and some folks have already sold them on, All that hype and yet some machines from 20 years ago wiped it's clock. Using bigger coils will be another issue when they are released and dedicated battery systems are never a good idea when you are 500 miles off the beaten track and have to cut your holiday short to head back to town looking for a replacement,

I was seriously thinking about one but I think I will give it a year or so and see how it pans out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread