Equinox finds Spanish treasure!

muttandjeeps

Jul 11, 2008
Moved from the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts t
Detector(s) used
The Equinox 800 is the only one I need...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week, my son and I went on another “Treasure Coast” trip, this time armed with our new Equinox 800’s.

Our last trip to St. Augustine had me finding the only “old coin”, an 8 Reale, that I was sure was authentic, but my 21 yo son had the opposite opinion. For the last 6 months, I have been hearing it from him about my “lead slug”.

Fast forward to last week. It’s about 11:30 pm on 3/27, and he comes up from behind me and tells me he found a “fake” coin, and not so jokingly accuses me of planting it, so he could have the heart attack/heart break of finding a worthless piece of junk… So, Sam pulls the “coin” out of his junk pouch so we can both give it a better look.

Upon inspection of the coin, its mint appearance gave the impression of a newly minted souvenir, but the coins details were so fine, and weight so heavy, we really did not know what to think. Back at the hotel we researched, compared pictures of actual coins, and did everything we could at 3 am to prove or disprove its origin.

The next morning we went to the West Bay Trading Company in Vero Beach to have the coin seen by folks who know much more than we do. The guys at West Bay were really helpful, determined that the gold content is just under 90%. 21 carat (by all records we found, 87.5 % was what the coin were supposed to be), Both Ron and Scott looked at the coin in disbelief of the condition, and determined that it was indeed genuine, and Scott, with his loop, discovered that the date was an over stamp 1787 over a 6. We were advised to have the coin graded and slabbed, and that is where it sits now.

Needless to say, we had a great trip. The Equinox has proved to be a great, fast, deep machine. Small brass/bronze/copper bits at 8 to 12 inches ring up VERY loud and clear on the wet sand (Beach 2), leaving no doubt that you have a non-ferrous item under the coil. Yes, aluminum rings up as well, but as we all know, that is just the cost of doing business… Battery run time is all of 10 hours plus, the wireless headphones worked well, the backlight on its lowest setting is perfect, and the machine preformed very quietly in the dry sand, and even in the surf. Very happy with the Equinox!

Attachments

• 7A4ACAE3-473C-4D01-8171-5C44ECA0EAD2.jpeg
    7A4ACAE3-473C-4D01-8171-5C44ECA0EAD2.jpeg
    305.7 KB · Views: 555
Last edited:
Upvote 59
Lmao. WHY IN THE WORLDwould someone put that in the trash pouch.
That’s funny

It was “too nice to be real”, I think was his quote at the time. And after my fiasco last trip with the un-real Reale, and the fact that at the time, he suspected me of putting it there to “get” him.
Neither one of us believed it was an actual coin, beacause we “were sure” that nothing that nice could come out of the sand.....It’s funny how sometimes we get a good lesson on how much we don’t know [emoji1]

BTW, here is the fake Reale I got 6 months of crap for....

When I’m unsure about a find, I put it aside for safe keeping until I remove all doubt.

how has this not been voted banner yet this insane

Now if this coin came from the same fleet as the coins in the news story you'd have a truly amazing find, it would mean that the electornics in the nox are so powerful, they warp space time, and something similar to the story from "The Final Countdown" movie from the 80's happend, the nox wormhole pulled a spanish sailor who just got paid in gold from the shores of Madrid in the late 1700's onto the deck of a 1715 plate fleet ship, he tried his best to prevent the disaster he knew was going to happend but they didn't believe him and he went down with the ship, and that's how you ended up with a 1787 gold coin minted in Spain on a wreck of a plate ship that went down 72 years before the coin was minted.

I just voted Banner on this incredible coin. Fun story of how he thought it was a set up/fake.

Right?? How is this not banner?
It does not qualify for banner, coin was found by his son who is not a member here. Banners have to be found by member not family member or friends.

Last edited:
It does not qualify for banner, coin was found by his brother who is not a member here. Banners have to be found by member not family member or friends.

The brother is a member here and wrote in on this thread. He said he wanted to keep it under his Dad's thread because they consider everything they find both of theirs

Stellar find!!! Huge congratulations!! Well done...... Banner find !!

The brother is a member here and wrote in on this thread. He said he wanted to keep it under his Dad's thread because they consider everything they find both of theirs

If his son has an account it has to be posted under his own name, any item that is being considered for banner has to be posted under the finders account and name.

Now if this coin came from the same fleet as the coins in the news story you'd have a truly amazing find, it would mean that the electornics in the nox are so powerful, they warp space time, and something similar to the story from "The Final Countdown" movie from the 80's happend, the nox wormhole pulled a spanish sailor who just got paid in gold from the shores of Madrid in the late 1700's onto the deck of a 1715 plate fleet ship, he tried his best to prevent the disaster he knew was going to happend but they didn't believe him and he went down with the ship, and that's how you ended up with a 1787 gold coin minted in Spain on a wreck of a plate ship that went down 72 years before the coin was minted.

I was just trying to show past finds of equal condition coins being found from the nearby area, how a coin could possibly be in the environment for 200 plus years and still look brand new. I was by no means trying to say it was from the same wreck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back