Equinox finds Spanish treasure!

muttandjeeps

Jul 11, 2008
Moved from the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts t
Detector(s) used
The Equinox 800 is the only one I need...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week, my son and I went on another “Treasure Coast” trip, this time armed with our new Equinox 800’s.

Our last trip to St. Augustine had me finding the only “old coin”, an 8 Reale, that I was sure was authentic, but my 21 yo son had the opposite opinion. For the last 6 months, I have been hearing it from him about my “lead slug”.

Fast forward to last week. It’s about 11:30 pm on 3/27, and he comes up from behind me and tells me he found a “fake” coin, and not so jokingly accuses me of planting it, so he could have the heart attack/heart break of finding a worthless piece of junk… So, Sam pulls the “coin” out of his junk pouch so we can both give it a better look.

Upon inspection of the coin, its mint appearance gave the impression of a newly minted souvenir, but the coins details were so fine, and weight so heavy, we really did not know what to think. Back at the hotel we researched, compared pictures of actual coins, and did everything we could at 3 am to prove or disprove its origin.

The next morning we went to the West Bay Trading Company in Vero Beach to have the coin seen by folks who know much more than we do. The guys at West Bay were really helpful, determined that the gold content is just under 90%. 21 carat (by all records we found, 87.5 % was what the coin were supposed to be), Both Ron and Scott looked at the coin in disbelief of the condition, and determined that it was indeed genuine, and Scott, with his loop, discovered that the date was an over stamp 1787 over a 6. We were advised to have the coin graded and slabbed, and that is where it sits now.

Needless to say, we had a great trip. The Equinox has proved to be a great, fast, deep machine. Small brass/bronze/copper bits at 8 to 12 inches ring up VERY loud and clear on the wet sand (Beach 2), leaving no doubt that you have a non-ferrous item under the coil. Yes, aluminum rings up as well, but as we all know, that is just the cost of doing business… Battery run time is all of 10 hours plus, the wireless headphones worked well, the backlight on its lowest setting is perfect, and the machine preformed very quietly in the dry sand, and even in the surf. Very happy with the Equinox!

Attachments

• 7A4ACAE3-473C-4D01-8171-5C44ECA0EAD2.jpeg
    7A4ACAE3-473C-4D01-8171-5C44ECA0EAD2.jpeg
    305.7 KB · Views: 555
Last edited:
Upvote 59
North east gives up another great find!
Congratulations muttandjeeps on the super nice gold

Read it again. Ain't the Northeast. It was the Treasure Coast of Florida...where I live! (Though somewhat north of me)
Waiting for hurricane season....always great beach hunting just after a hurricane passes, and before the next couple of high tides bring all the sand back.
Once I have my house boarded up for an incoming hurricane/tropical storm, I wait for passage, and then metal detect the beaches, at least until the power comes back on!

Super Nice!!!! What a Unique Killer Find!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!
Banner!!

That is a real prize ! Real Spanish treasure for sure. Back in the day that one coin had a purchasing power of $16.00 USD, a tidy sum in the 18th century. I'd vote banner, but you didn't find that gorgeous coin, and I don't know if your son is a member of TNet, If a Moderator would comment on the status of eligibility for banner, it would get my vote in a heartbeat. As a comment was already made by one member, go back there right away and look for more. Not to be greedy, but the recent East Coast storms must have churned some of the stray treasure coins, etc., up or that coin would have been picked up by one of the regular beach MD'ers long ago. Congratulations and thanks for sharing !

I understand what "wagbert" is getting at, if the son found that (what IS a fantastic coin), and he is not a member of T-Net, then perhaps "muttandjeeps" could not receive banner, BUT!, he did father the boy who found that "fantastic" coin, that took some effort too, perhaps a "Honorable Mention" for that? After all he did feed him and all for many years................anyway, great coin, it would have been a thrill just to be there when recovered. Congratulations to you both.

Last edited:
I'm trying to keep my jaw up. That thing is beautiful. find of a lifetime for sure.

I understand what "wagbert" is getting at, if the son found that (what IS a fantastic coin), and he is not a member of T-Net, then perhaps "muttandjeeps" could not receive banner, BUT!, he did father the boy who found that "fantastic" coin, that took some effort too, perhaps a "Honorable Mention" for that? After all he did feed him and all for many years................anyway, great coin, it would have been a thrill just to be there when recovered. Congratulations to you both.

I am the son that found the coin. As with everything we find, this is one of our finds, not just mine. We have worked together since I was 11 or 12. I'd like to keep this find on my dad's account with the rest of them.

I hope we are not disqualified from banner!

Thank you all for comments and compliments on this find of a lifetime!

That’s it I’m buying a box of tissue ......for all the people that buy an equinox.

What in the heck? That is unbelievable! I've never even seen one of those before. Incredible find, wow.

Wow what a gorgeous gold 4 Escudos coin! Thank you for sharing with us!

Steve

Last edited:
Saw this posted on Steve's forum, incredible find!

Banner all day long in my book!

I am the son that found the coin. As with everything we find, this is one of our finds, not just mine. We have worked together since I was 11 or 12. I'd like to keep this find on my dad's account with the rest of them.

I hope we are not disqualified from banner!

Thank you all for comments and compliments on this find of a lifetime!

Congrats minkey, thats one awsome coin. Im glad my banner vote counts !! That truly is one of the nicest coins ive ever seen posted. Well done.

WOW ! Absolutely amazing coin you found ! It’s hard to stop looking at it. HH

Coolest thing I have ever seen in my life!! That being said my equinox arrived at my door yesterday..

That is a tremendous coin! Value in the multiple thousands of $$? I've read about them and have seen them recovered by professional salvagers, but never metal detecting. Do you think this was a "lucky coin" that fell out of a bezel setting in the last couple weeks? Or do you think it has been in the ocean for the last 200 years. Seems to pristine for an ocean burp'd coin, maybe sucked out of the dunes recently? The edge is pristine, most coins in the NC sand that have been in for some time have damage to the edges from constant motion in the sand. Thoughts? (But man, it's an awesome coin!! Huge congrats! My only gold coin find still has the bezel on it...)

Awesome!!! Still waiting on one of those Spanish Galleons to crash in MO.!!!!

To find a piece of history like that is truly amazing !!!! :occasion14: Congrats on your find ,bet your kid changed his tune pretty quick :icon_thumleft: You got my banner vote, to the top you go !!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back