Equinox number 4 goes down...I show how to fix it..

Ed_DE

Feb 23, 2019
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same exact problem with my control pod about 2 years ago. But mine was still under warranty at the time & Minelab replaced the control pod. Now that my Equinox is out of warranty if the control pod fails again I'am getting a Deus 2.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That was really funny.
#4 what's up with that crap.
One other member has gone through many as well.
That pole is getting to be 10ft, that's for sure.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
While overall physical build quality has been an on going issue, Minelab's software has been leading edge....until XP fielded the Deus II.
As of now, Minelab is far behind in both build quality and software. From just a old Cavalry guys view point, Minelab is losing the war on 2 fronts...and badly! It'll be interesting to see how they answer the bell with a follow on detector...won't it?

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
D1589A4D-A2FA-45D0-A13F-9717AE4D2D74.jpeg
Send it to Gallagher.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Nox is a proven beast. I'll take on any and all other detectorists using the new machines. If they can out depth and out separate targets then the Nox I'll be surprised, but will admit it. However these new machines are only in the hands of a few or still backed logged. Lets wait for a year until they have actually done something before we throw away our old detectors.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!! I thought it was just me. That is exactly what my 800 has been doing. I at first thought it may have been the on button. Started a post, EQ on/off switch. ALMOST ordered a new battery JUST in case, thinking could that cause it? No need to do that now. Of course it's out of warranty, I've had it 3 1/2 years. Minelab said that there are no internal parts to fix, so a NEW control pod would cost $429. Is that not just swell? I did a re-set, the screen "Flashed" then a FP, and no change, in fact, alittle worse. I smacked it on the back of it's head, then did another re-set the next day, and it worked again. Took it to a park to try it for awhile, and when I hit the pin point button, the screen went blank the came on again. That happened 3 or 4 times so I stopped using the pin point until later, tried it again and it's working fine. I never know if it is going to work now or not. Can't be sure that it's working right when it is working. I think it shut down and then started up again when I tried to change Freq. All SEEMS to be working right for now. but I DO NOT have the confidence it taking it anywhere other than a local park just in case it gets tired?. Won't take it anywhere distant now. I did consider biting the bullet and buying a new pod and not giving any thought to it in the future, but seeing the short video from calabash, do I understand correctly, FOURTH time with that. Are you kidding me? I have all the detectors I've ever bought going back to the late 80's, two are Minelabs, never a problem like this. So what's up Minelab? I thought it was just mine, but calabash is the third fella on T-Net in addition to me, that has had this problem? Well, I do not think that's his FOURTH time in 12 years, IF using up the 3 year warranty for each. In other words, don't want to buy a new pod if I'm just waiting for when it might happen again. I bought the machine, don't want to rent it for $430 every 3 years. I have ordered the new Legend back in November. If I use the EQ, it will be for local parks only. I am pretty disappointed. First they had a wobble shaft problem, (bought a after market fiber shaft) then there was leakage problems, coil ear breakage (of which I had, glued it, added ear supports) and now, is it the " may or may not work problem."? Ah well....

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had the same exact problem with my control pod about 2 years ago. But mine was still under warranty at the time & Minelab replaced the control pod. Now that my Equinox is out of warranty if the control pod fails again I'am getting a Deus 2.
before you do, have batting practice with your 800 to 'fix' it

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow!! I thought it was just me. That is exactly what my 800 has been doing. I at first thought it may have been the on button. Started a post, EQ on/off switch. ALMOST ordered a new battery JUST in case, thinking could that cause it? No need to do that now. Of course it's out of warranty, I've had it 3 1/2 years. Minelab said that there are no internal parts to fix, so a NEW control pod would cost $429. Is that not just swell? I did a re-set, the screen "Flashed" then a FP, and no change, in fact, alittle worse. I smacked it on the back of it's head, then did another re-set the next day, and it worked again. Took it to a park to try it for awhile, and when I hit the pin point button, the screen went blank the came on again. That happened 3 or 4 times so I stopped using the pin point until later, tried it again and it's working fine. I never know if it is going to work now or not. Can't be sure that it's working right when it is working. I think it shut down and then started up again when I tried to change Freq. All SEEMS to be working right for now. but I DO NOT have the confidence it taking it anywhere other than a local park just in case it gets tired?. Won't take it anywhere distant now. I did consider biting the bullet and buying a new pod and not giving any thought to it in the future, but seeing the short video from calabash, do I understand correctly, FOURTH time with that. Are you kidding me? I have all the detectors I've ever bought going back to the late 80's, two are Minelabs, never a problem like this. So what's up Minelab? I thought it was just mine, but calabash is the third fella on T-Net in addition to me, that has had this problem? Well, I do not think that's his FOURTH time in 12 years, IF using up the 3 year warranty for each. In other words, don't want to buy a new pod if I'm just waiting for when it might happen again. I bought the machine, don't want to rent it for $430 every 3 years. I have ordered the new Legend back in November. If I use the EQ, it will be for local parks only. I am pretty disappointed. First they had a wobble shaft problem, (bought a after market fiber shaft) then there was leakage problems, coil ear breakage (of which I had, glued it, added ear supports) and now, is it the " may or may not work problem."? Ah well....
sometimes the 'newer' pod will have the fix/modification on-board if they were made aware of this anomaly. I had a control arm break in half on my truck, the factory replacement part was twice the diameter of the original. I baby my truck, no off road stuff at all. I understand that trucks and metal detectors are not related, but the Sales/Marketing/Engineering of companies will make changes but not admit as to why.

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PM me if it shits the bed hard. I'd be happy to pop the hood on it and find the culprit. Aside from the surface mount stuff, there are a lot of other internal connectivities that could have been marginal and brought to the fore-front over time by vibration.

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How to video...

Send me #1, 2 or 3, I'm not afraid to 'go-in'. intermittent stuff is tough to discover with surface mount technology but, there are connectivities internally that could have been marginal but adequate until vibration pushed the unit over the edge. Our US Navy spends millions each year for shock and vibration testing. I've even witnessed equipment on barge explosions to test robustness. PM if interested

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread