Error coins

sushidingo

Mar 3, 2015
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster pro, at gold. Gold monster 1000. Equinox 800, sdc 2300, soon D2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these error coins. Was wondering if anyone on Tnet had any ideas about them. The smooth one is to nice to have been sanded and polished i think it was only half stamped. The other was over stamped i think. Any ideas? 20190116_220037.jpg20190116_220045.jpg20190116_220056.jpg20190116_220114.jpg

Upvote 3
Is the edge of the first one rounded or flat?
If it's rounded it's almost certainly a "dryer coin", but either way it's damaged post mint.

The other one is out of focus.

Rounded or flat? Im confused. Haha. It looks like it was pressed to hard and its all completely indented to far. Perfectly round all the way around the coin

The reeded edge is gone and it is smooth so it is a dryer coin. It gets rolled until the edge swells. Both coins are post mint damage IMO

Ahhh ok. Ya the ridges are smooth. How would a coin be completly smooth on one side and the other side completly normal?

Its unfortunately just wear. When a coin is in heat and a constant and quick rotation they wear just like this. I bought quarters from laundromats in the past and always got to grab the 'dryer coins'and they are exactly the same. PMD.

So what you all are saying is both coins are dryer coins?

One is either a dryer coin, or damaged intentionally by repeatedly tapping the edge. The other has had the reverse ground off. Both are just damaged.

The quarter in the first pic looks like it could be a magician's coin. Does it have a seam anywhere on the edge, like it would open up and hold a dime or penny inside of it ? Just a thought. I have found Half Dollar magician's coins before, that had edges like your quarter.

I believe Trezurehunter has it correct. The quarter appears to be a coin shell. Drop the coin a listen to the sound, if its a dull it's a magician's shell coin. They can be separated by banging on a solid surface. The the other side is probably a copper coin and used for a trick called copper/silver...a very cool and convincing coin routine. :icon_thumleft:

Thanks for all the info everyone

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back