Etched Brass Pistol Butt Cap, Watch Winder, Ugly Flying Eagle

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out for a few hours in the 90 degree sun yesterday. I didn't last too long. Find of the day was another first. A really nice brass pistol butt cap. It's pretty bent and I'm not sure if I will try to straighten it. Opinions are welcome. Also found a watch winder and my first Flying Eagle. It's absolutely hideous!
IMG_2208.JPG
IMG_2209.JPG
IMG_5897.JPG
IMG_5893.JPG
IMG_5895.JPG
IMG_5896.JPG
IMG_5902.JPG
IMG_5907.JPG
IMG_5911.JPG
IMG_5914.JPG
FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 38
My vote is 'no' for straightening that butt cap. If you heated it, the amazing patina would be destroyed. The story is how did that sucker get bent? Having the privileged info of knowing where it was found, I highly doubt it was bent after the drop. I imagine it was bent pistol whipping a savage or perhaps a bear. Dunno - **** like that can make ya think. Nice find man - a pistol butt cap is on my list. Cheers bud

Great finds! I'd love to find a pistol butt cap. Looks like a great hunt! [emoji106]

HH, RN

Nice finds there Captain Ahab!. I love the pistol butt cap...a very unique find. I'm also jealous of your toasty flying eagle cent. Have never found one myself, but hopefully one day.

Abe--LOL--I thought the pistol cap was a door knob! Oh dear. Very pretty design. Congrats on a cool hunt. -Lisa & John

That is a FUGLY Flyer :) Nice watch key, I'd bet its Gooooold

FANTASTIC butt cap!!!! You seldom see designed ones!

What a smashing find that is, one for the show case.
Just wanted to add that looking at the other finds and the effects of what the soil acidity has done to them, the butt cap is in amazing condition. Love the patina look to the piece. For straightening it-well I'd think about that one for a bit as it adds a question of how it got that way, and makes for a better story.

Last edited:
Man that pistol butt is very cool.
Any ideas of age
Great find
I'm holed up till the heat breaks
Hh gl

Man that pistol butt is very cool.
Any ideas of age
Great find
I'm holed up till the heat breaks
Hh gl

love the pistol butt cap, to have been decorated like that meant that it wasn't bottom of the line. not quite as nice as a silver one would have been but still not cheap. they are all pretty awesome finds

Way cool pistol butt! If I wanted it straightened, I'd send it to a pro. That being said, I think it looks good the way it is-would be a shame to break it.

My vote is 'no' for straightening that butt cap. If you heated it, the amazing patina would be destroyed. The story is how did that sucker get bent? Having the privileged info of knowing where it was found, I highly doubt it was bent after the drop. I imagine it was bent pistol whipping a savage or perhaps a bear. Dunno - **** like that can make ya think. Nice find man - a pistol butt cap is on my list. Cheers bud

Or he could have been in a fight with a big mammajamma lobsta' bub! I hear stories that in colonial Maine lobstas used to eat peoples dogs.

Eat more Lobsta' and cheers Ahab

Well done Abe. The pistol butt cap is really sweet... I say leave it as found.

I see a square shoe buckle chape too.

Congrats on the flying eagle too.

Best of luck to you in the field!

Great pistol butt plate‼️I think it was someone that had some money for the fancy. A eagle �� is a eagle,not easy to find��Awesome job battling the heat,I'm going to try today ��

Great pistol butt plate‼️I think it was someone that had some money for the fancy. A eagle 🦅 is a eagle,not easy to find👍Awesome job battling the heat,I'm going to try today 🔥

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back