OP

1RAGINCAJUN

Nov 29, 2008
Lafayette, La.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This might be one of those situations where discretion is the better part of Valor. Given all the variables and the distance. I,d try to find a MDer closer to her and if OK with that Mder,recommend she contact him or her. Or get in touch with Ring finders,they do this all the time.Just my 2 cents.
Lol Crash, she found me on Ringfinders. There is only 3 of us in the state of Louisiana on the site, 2 in Lafayette and 1 in Alexandria.

Zakon Krzyżacki

May 25, 2022
With fuel prices, I would only ask for that.
The thrill of the hunt is the real reward.

Make double sure that the right of way is public access.
By that, I was looking for my property markers that are along the highway that I live off of and the DNR said that I can't do that.
I explained that my property runs to the highway shoulder, he got frustrated and left.
I am assuming someone called them on me.
Be careful out there!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Heck of a project...

It would be great if you could hunt it at your leisure.
Distance and time though.....

IF I was intent on searching that big a sight I'd be tempted to choose the best time of year. Just past winter , whatever winter is in your state , l.o.l..
Or at least when grass and weeds are at thier lowest point and temps are below human flesh melting.

Then approach the site with as big a group of experienced (at rings ect.) detectorists for a group hunt. IF permissible by those who enforce right of way activities rules.
Have a get together potluck or something after.

A permissioned approach vs risking getting run off could be to get approval and perhaps sandwich coupons or something from the outfit that maintains / mows the right of way.
Collecting junk and bagging it for pickup can really reduce mower blade and tire damage. (!)
(As kids we used to do cleanups for a utility company. Church group or scouts or something.)

A volunteer group going ahead of the detecting group cleaning up could help reduce trash . They might find more guns and bodies first. Not always a bad thing.

Too far a run for me , your offered distance from your home.
No problem asking for expenses being covered if it's not in your ability or interest to spend so much time wear and money.
Not an insult. Just how it is.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck of a project...

It would be great if you could hunt it at your leisure.
Distance and time though.....

IF I was intent on searching that big a sight I'd be tempted to choose the best time of year. Just past winter , whatever winter is in your state , l.o.l..
Or at least when grass and weeds are at thier lowest point and temps are below human flesh melting.

Then approach the site with as big a group of experienced (at rings ect.) detectorists for a group hunt. IF permissible by those who enforce right of way activities rules.
Have a get together potluck or something after.

A permissioned approach vs risking getting run off could be to get approval and perhaps sandwich coupons or something from the outfit that maintains / mows the right of way.
Collecting junk and bagging it for pickup can really reduce mower blade and tire damage. (!)
(As kids we used to do cleanups for a utility company. Church group or scouts or something.)

A volunteer group going ahead of the detecting group cleaning up could help reduce trash . They might find more guns and bodies first. Not always a bad thing.

Too far a run for me , your offered distance from your home.
No problem asking for expenses being covered if it's not in your ability or interest to spend so much time wear and money.
Not an insult. Just how it is.
Get the money,if any,BEFORE you start the search.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't waste your time and their money. Have you eve tried to metal detect along the side of any road? Every roadside in this country is full of trash, especially aluminum. Trying to find a gold ring in a sea of aluminum will drive you crazy. I would pass on the deal.

DirtFishin'

Tenderfoot
Nov 30, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 500, Minelab Sovereign XS, Minelab Soveriegn GT, Minelab Excalibur Sword, Tesoro Sand Shark, Minelab Equinox 800 & 600, XP Deus, CTX 3030, White's Beach Hunter TDI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You have absolutely no idea how much aluminum trash gets tossed out of car windows. Add in bruch hogs mowing and chopping all that aluminum into can slaw. Sheeze. I can not begin to imagine the amount of trash targets you are going to encounter. You may need a year to dig all the targets that may be a ring.

LibraryCat

Tenderfoot
Oct 25, 2017
Worcester, MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol Crash, she found me on Ringfinders. There is only 3 of us in the state of Louisiana on the site, 2 in Lafayette and 1 in Alexandria.
Oh Heavens! I lived in Louisiana until I left for College — I was on the outskirts of Lafayette!

What you may want to ask is a few basic questions in basic physics to help you narrow down the find area. I was totally blessed when a family member lost a ring to be looking where we were — and realizing the ring travels as fast and as far as the car until gravity takes it to a firm stop. All the other searchers were about a hundred yards far off and angry at me for “goofing off” until I reached down and got the wedding band. You may have more than a 60 yards from the last point she thinks it fell due to speed of the car, weeds it could have fallen in, etc. Is there a ditch system with water? Then that narrows the search a tiny bit to the lowest section of the culvert (think panning for tumbled gold). It’s a needle in a haystack, but it could have escaped the road repair division’s tractors that way without too much damage. (Otherwise, it’s there until maybe someone finds it four hundred years from now! 😔)

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone may have a different opinion, but at the price of gas today and a round trip of 180 miles I would tell them $40 to cover the gas and $20.00 an hour to search, their choice on how long you search. It is hot and humid outside now and you are in La.
They contacted you to provide a service so compensation is appropriate. You wouldn't expect a roofer to come replace some shingles for free would you? What do you feel your time is worth? $20 - $25 has always worked for me. Figure out your mpg, take that cost double it. Think ahead! Word gets around avoid the well you did it for him free scenario. Your time has value!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have absolutely no idea how much aluminum trash gets tossed out of car windows. Add in bruch hogs mowing and chopping all that aluminum into can slaw. Sheeze. I can not begin to imagine the amount of trash targets you are going to encounter. You may need a year to dig all the targets that may be a ring.
It is a challenge, to say the least but one I would take up. My banner find was a ring in an artificial waterway, a "flume". Much of the flume was built with re-bar support. A NIGHTMARE for detectors! But I found the ring for its owner. If the ring on the side of the highway is not found, so be it. But, you will never know until you give it a try! I, personally, would give it a try. Finding the ring would be very gratifying for me. ╦╦C

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh the throwers remorse-or is it that ring might be worth more than they every thought?
Have read over the years of ring tosses/regrets.

Off ramp buddy finds one, and the other was 65ft away-big bounce.

All those years and they can still remember the exact spot-good luck on that one.
Now the mowing, mower hits it-ping there it flies another X amount-the amount of organic material, that ring maybe down a tad, especially if the tractor ran over it.

Then add in the all the other tab bits that have been mentioned, the trash would be enough to make a person weary.
The adventure of it all, and the possibility of finding it is all part of the challenge.

Best of luck

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just give up now is my best advice. I have been lucky and found such rings, by pure accident though. Flung rings have a history all of their own.
Ask Red or one of the other dowsers to dowse it for you! No matter your belief it couldn't hurt!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone may have a different opinion, but at the price of gas today and a round trip of 180 miles I would tell them $40 to cover the gas and $20.00 an hour to search, their choice on how long you search. It is hot and humid outside now and you are in La.
This is a good start !!! Ask them How much is it worth for you to come look for it ?

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
What is the ring worth? Is she willing to spend $200 for a hundred-dollar ring? Or is it a $5K heirloom, then maybe a 25% finders fee?
Don't forget lead tire balance weights that will ring up as gold.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live near a gated lake community. A lady lost a prop off of her motor. Asked me to come dive and see if i could find it. I had probably 4 1/2 hours getting my diving gear there and searching for it. I did not ask how much before i started. After abolujt 4 1/2 hours i had the prop in my hand . She gave me $35 total. I never said any more but there is no need for her to call me again. I always talk price before I go anymore

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread