etrac acting crazy last hunt, falsing like crazy at 02-02 up to 10-10. ANy idea?

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took it out to a normal area for me and it kept falsing like crazy. It was even going like crazy when I put the coil 5 ft in the air. I hit noise cancel a few times with no help. I had to black out the whole left side of the smartfind window. ANy ideas what was going on?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine did the same thing to me the other day. Acted crazy, no matter what I did. When I switched over to my probe it was stable again so I thought my coil was bad. Even went to a different spot a mile away in case it was local electrical interference. Got back home and decided to mess with it and try to find the problem. Turned it on and it worked fine!

Now, it could be a broken wire in coil or the cable from the coil to the Sunray box but thats a guess. I will wait to see if it does it again. Last time I didn't have a spare coil to put on, but if it acts up I'll try switching coils.

lomoch

Aug 11, 2011
Re: etrac acting crazy last hunt, falsing like crazy at 02-02 up to 10-10. ANy i

I'm new to this hobby and the E-trac. Is taking off the coil cover and cleaning the coil something that should be done often? On the E-trac, doe the coil cover snap on and off? What's best way to clean the coil; soap and water?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the coil cover "snaps" on an off, but it's a TIGHT fit and might take some muscle to get it free.

How often you clean it out depends on your area. Where I hunt, the ground is very low in minerals, so a little dust in there won't hurt. I normally only clean it out when it gets too cold to detect. If you live in a "hot" area, you might want to clean it more often. Soap and water is the perfect cleaner!

moonshine

Dec 29, 2006
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di/Pro, E-Trac
maybe mines different but i dont think its hard to get it on and off. do one side at a time, i think i start with the outside edge of the cover, then do the same side on the inside radius of the coil, and work your way around the coil. when you put it back on, look for the notch (on the removable cover) and make sure it lines up on the correct side. youll know what i mean when you see it. the notch lines up with the coil wire bar which is deeper.

lomoch

Aug 11, 2011
Hello GTL, whatever happened with your situation? Did you find a fix, or is the machine still acting up?

OP
OP
Gimmie The Loot

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lomoch said:
Hello GTL, whatever happened with your situation? Did you find a fix, or is the machine still acting up?

Hi Lomoch - Yes I was able to fix it... I actually took it out the next time and it was still acting up so I removed the coil cover, and there was a big blade of grass stuck inside... I shook it out and its worked fine ever since.

Remember the old saying for troubleshooting something, "K.I.S,S! - Keep It Simple, Stupid!" It is usually the simplest fix that we overlook and freak out about!

HH!

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I was also going to suggest the connection between the coil and control box

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gimmie The Loot said:
lomoch said:

Hi Lomoch - Yes I was able to fix it... I actually took it out the next time and it was still acting up so I removed the coil cover, and there was a big blade of grass stuck inside... I shook it out and its worked fine ever since.

Remember the old saying for troubleshooting something, "K.I.S,S! - Keep It Simple, Stupid!" It is usually the simplest fix that we overlook and freak out about!

HH!
Wow.....that's some hot grass!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread