etrac or ctx thinking about buying one . which one?

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 friends one has a etrac for sale and the other a ctx 30/30 trying to decide witch one to buy. I can get the 30/30 for a thousand bucks with a set of greyghost waterproof headphones included detector is like new condition. I know I can get a good deal on the etrac too. Im a die hard deus user BUT I have some sites that the emi just makes my machine pretty much useless,so the 30/30 or etr4ac would be used as a backup. To me a 1000.00 bucks seems like a steal on a mint ctx. Which way do I go any advice?

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
CTX is the compliment to Deus IMO.

roygpa

Mar 5, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+ Garrett AT-Pro, Fisher F5, Fisher F2, 2- Garrett Pro Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an Etrac and love it. If I could get a CTX for a grand, I would jump on it. All the good parts of an Etrac and water proof, a no-brainer. if you don't buy the CTX can I have dibs on it?:)

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think any detector is immune to Emi - I've had problems with the ctx too.

MexGT

Sep 23, 2013
México
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030 & Stealth 920i
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
1k for the 3030 with extras, you know the guy and you can see the working condition of it? Dude, get it ! You cant ask for more !

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For that price, get the CTX.

SilverChirp

Mar 21, 2016
State of Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you pass on the CTX, can I buy it?... Sounds like a steal to me. I would go for it. :metaldetector:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hands down the ctx if for NOTHING else the balance and Combined audio.
Other additional features of the CTX are : faster recovery time, waterproof, better pinpoint button location, wireless headphones, Gps, target trace, target trace pinpoint, user mode( can set to last program which allows you to switch programs with the press of one button) and more flexibility in string bins size and audio.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks guys for the input.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never thought I'd see this day calabash. I'd be real interested to see if it does any better for the EMI. Having said that, between the two I'd go for the CTX.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cala.. I will pay $1200 for the CTX... What are you waiting for. If you dont like it you can sell it for approx $1400..... I will take the Etrac too at the right price even though I already have one... :)

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I loved my etrac but it tore my arm up, The CTX being balanced is way easier to swing all day even though it is heavier. But as said above 1k is rather cheap for a mint ctx.. Go for it. If you get either learn to swing them slow, In your video comparisons you said you don't swing that slow. But it is a MUST if you want to get the deep stuff.

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Cal - you can't go wrong with the CTX 3030. For the type of relic hunting you do, you will get more depth and stable target ID/tones in "relatively" clean ground compared to the XP Deus. (at least that's been my experience here in WI soil) In heavy trashy areas that you search, the XP Deus will still be your go-to detector due to its superior separation abilities. But as most have stated, definitely the CTX over the E-trac. There's just too many positive things on the tech end not to choose it IMO plus for $1k its an amazing deal.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For high EMI areas I put away the Deus and CTX and bring out the Fisher CZ. Be careful when buying any bargain priced CTX, especially when it's apparent that it has been used for water hunting. I would have to know the seller well to make that deal.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the seller is a good friend of mine plus it has a years warranty on it. I did pull the trigger and ill be getting it tommorrow. Now I got to learn how to use the thing, came with a set of grey ghost and a wireless module he cut me a very good deal.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Wise choice. For a grand that is a steal. I own the etrac and love it. II would upgrade if I found a CTX though in that price range too. All the new options it offers plus being waterproof, a win win for you. Kudos..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread