Etrac vs. Explorer???

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I am not up on the Minelabs tech even though I have an excal. However, people around me are raving about the etrac and say it's so much better than the explorer. I tried looking up the difference on the Minelab website and don't see much difference but cost. Can anyone tell me what would be so much better with the etrac vs. the explorer? Thanks! :coffee2:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many of them were long time explorer users? People who have never used one, or only had one for a few months don't count. Heck, there's probably enough people that have used them for years that still don't count. :laughing7: Since the day I started detecting I've spared no expense on detecting equipment and if I thought the E-trac could do something my explorer can't, I guarantee I'd have one. But like I said in another post I believe Minelab reached it's peak the day it released the explorer II, and since then changes have been for the worse.

The problem with trying to get info. about the latest and greatest detector is trying to separate the guys who really have a handle on things, to the ones who think it's better mostly because it's new and they own it.

OP
OP
John (Ma)

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
I hear what you are saying and that is why I posted to get various views. I appreciate your input as I have heard of some explorer users swear by them and that is another reason I ask. Thanks again! :icon_thumright:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John (Ma) said:
I hear what you are saying and that is why I posted to get various views. I appreciate your input as I have heard of some explorer users swear by them and that is another reason I ask. Thanks again! :icon_thumright:

I really would like to try an E-trac but can't bring myself to go through the hassel for a detector I am pretty sure I wouldn't keep. I do think it's probably very good, but not good enough that a new user would be able to compare with someone who really knew an explorer.

PS... You know how to tell I'm not detecting/finding much..... you read my posts on this forum. ;D

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Started out with a XS, then a SE, and now a Etrac.. Much better detector.. May not be deeper but much more stable and menu's are easier to navigate.. They moved the good stuff to the 12 ferrous line so your not trying to figure out the bouncing cursor.. Just a easier detector to use then the early models..

OP
OP
John (Ma)

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Thank you to everyone that has applied. Some very good feedback. :icon_thumright:

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
I own both Explorer11 and Etrac. Gone back to using Explorer11 as my main machine , Etrac misses too many targets, the 12 line is a joke. Shallow targets are mostly on the 12 line, deep targets can be anywhere from 9 to 15 line this makes accurate target ID at depth too broad and just about impossible. seeya Neilo

dan_h

Sep 9, 2005
In his book on the Explorer and E-Trac, Sabisch wrote that for deep targets, the Fe number will prove less reliable than the CO and to consider digging targets with an FE number up to 27. The FE 12 line is supposed to be helpful. Like any discrimination circuit, you are playing the percentages to find your optimum blend of skipping junk but not passing over too many desirable items.

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
neilo said:
I own both Explorer11 and Etrac. Etrac misses too many targets. seeya Neilo

:icon_scratch: In my experiances, I've seen just the opposite. In fact, I am amazed at the target's it finds that were missed by many other detectors.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
How many of them were long time explorer users? People who have never used one, or only had one for a few months don't count. Heck, there's probably enough people that have used them for years that still don't count. :laughing7: Since the day I started detecting I've spared no expense on detecting equipment and if I thought the E-trac could do something my explorer can't, I guarantee I'd have one. But like I said in another post I believe Minelab reached it's peak the day it released the explorer II, and since then changes have been for the worse.

The problem with trying to get info. about the latest and greatest detector is trying to separate the guys who really have a handle on things, to the ones who think it's better mostly because it's new and they own it.

Thats a funny statement coming from you, You have plenty to say about p1 units yet never seen you use a gpx 4500. :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3:

tinpan

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tinpan said:
Iron Patch said:

Thats a funny statement coming from you, You have plenty to say about p1 units yet never seen you use a gpx 4500. :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3:

tinpan

What's a p1 unit, and a gpx 4500 for that matter? (and what do they have to do with me?) Please make sense if you want to reply, or at least have another few drinks to make it obvious you're in left field.

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
explorer or etrac? in my opinion if you have money and before never used explorer buy etrac, but if you have explorer and use it without discrimination, stay with it and spend money for something else. before I was thinking too, how to get etrac, but after investigating some time in this mater decided to stay with my explorer xs. why I think sou? firstly etrac cost! it cost to to much! should be 700$ max, because its still improved explorer but not separate new invention and still heavy like hell! they changed handle angle,control panel with faster processor-but not much faster?? etrac still nuling?and coil. I cant really dont understand why they decided to go so short ? design from 1999 then s and xs was introduced! still 8 AA battery? still the same upper aluminum and lower carbon fiber rod with heavy and bulky plastic end for coil bolt? and all this construction with questionable conections?8AA battery 250g. if it can be just 100g. --even with the same battery case--why they not use new types battery like lithium-ion and other new type like in self phone or new electronics? coil a bit lighter and a bit deeper, but not so much lighter and so much better that etrac cost 1500$.
Iron Patch you very angry man :laughing7:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stasys said:
explorer or etrac? in my opinion if you have money and before never used explorer buy etrac, but if you have explorer and use it without discrimination, stay with it and spend money for something else. before I was thinking too, how to get etrac, but after investigating some time in this mater decided to stay with my explorer xs. why I think sou? firstly etrac cost! it cost to to much! should be 700$ max, because its still improved explorer but not separate new invention and still heavy like hell! they changed handle angle,control panel with faster processor-but not much faster?? etrac still nuling?and coil. I cant really dont understand why they decided to go so short ? design from 1999 then s and xs was introduced! still 8 AA battery? still the same upper aluminum and lower carbon fiber rod with heavy and bulky plastic end for coil bolt? and all this construction with questionable conections?8AA battery 250g. if it can be just 100g. --even with the same battery case--why they not use new types battery like lithium-ion and other new type like in self phone or new electronics? coil a bit lighter and a bit deeper, but not so much lighter and so much better that etrac cost 1500$.

Not at all, and go check 99.9% of my posts. But if I say it you can believe I 1000% mean it and won't regret it! How's that for angry? :wink:

PS.... Haven't you caught on that making little changes is what makes the most money because many people rush to by the latest model. It's been going on as long as I've used an explorer which is pushing 10 years now. It's not about anything but $$$! So there's really no tough questions.

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not an Explorer or even an E-trac user, but, being in the game for a while, thought I'd chime in.
I'd have to agree with Iron Patch's statements. At some point it is JUST about the money on these newer machines - FOR ANY BRAND OR MODEL!!!

Example; I am a long times White's user. Is the new & "improved" V3i THAT mucher better than the "old" V3? Methinks not :laughing7: Is it even better than the DFX or XLT? My opinion, very, very close.
I was considering purchasing an Explorer or E-trac initially. After much reading, the only difference I can see on the E-trac is the ability to upload one's programs to their computers. Again, never used one, and I know it's definitely top-of-the-line, but, that's really the only difference I see. To me, it's just another "bell and whistle". The "sizzle".

Detector manufacturers are in the business to make money. LOTS of it. Capitalism at it's finest. Nothing wrong with that. So how do they do it??? Simple. Every now and again, they will come out with a new color, a more "ergonomic" design, easier menu's, etc., etc., etc. And the pitch is normally this..."It's a must have. Better depth. Cancels out more garbage, etc.". Very few people (except for the "old hands" or detector buffs) will actually care about or even use these upgrades.

And again, just to be clear, I am NOT slamming Minelab here. It's across the board. All of this stuff about which has the most depth, better recovery speed, etc. is very important. However, most of my best finds over the years were in the 6 inch range or lower. Go figure :icon_scratch:

It all comes down to this people...Get a quality detector, learn it like the back of your hand, find some quality spots and I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with the results. Don't believe all the hype kiddies.

As the late and great Mr. Barnum once said, there's a you know what born every minute :laughing7:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
njnydigger said:
I'm not an Explorer or even an E-trac user, but, being in the game for a while, thought I'd chime in.
I'd have to agree with Iron Patch's statements. At some point it is JUST about the money on these newer machines - FOR ANY BRAND OR MODEL!!!

Example; I am a long times White's user. Is the new & "improved" V3i THAT mucher better than the "old" V3? Methinks not :laughing7: Is it even better than the DFX or XLT? My opinion, very, very close.
I was considering purchasing an Explorer or E-trac initially. After much reading, the only difference I can see on the E-trac is the ability to upload one's programs to their computers. Again, never used one, and I know it's definitely top-of-the-line, but, that's really the only difference I see. To me, it's just another "bell and whistle". The "sizzle".

Detector manufacturers are in the business to make money. LOTS of it. Capitalism at it's finest. Nothing wrong with that. So how do they do it??? Simple. Every now and again, they will come out with a new color, a more "ergonomic" design, easier menu's, etc., etc., etc. And the pitch is normally this..."It's a must have. Better depth. Cancels out more garbage, etc.". Very few people (except for the "old hands" or detector buffs) will actually care about or even use these upgrades.

And again, just to be clear, I am NOT slamming Minelab here. It's across the board. All of this stuff about which has the most depth, better recovery speed, etc. is very important. However, most of my best finds over the years were in the 6 inch range or lower. Go figure :icon_scratch:

It all comes down to this people...Get a quality detector, learn it like the back of your hand, find some quality spots and I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with the results. Don't believe all the hype kiddies.

As the late and great Mr. Barnum once said, there's a you know what born every minute :laughing7:

The only reason the Explorer II happened was to fix the mistakes they made on the XS! They were just stupid things like having to buy a Sunray stand, or the 1/8 jack, but man on man when it came out everyone with their new unit was digging deeper and finding more! :laughing7:

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
stasys said:

Not at all, and go check 99.9% of my posts. But if I say it you can believe I 1000% mean it and won't regret it! How's that for angry? :wink:

PS.... Haven't you caught on that making little changes is what makes the most money because many people rush to by the latest model. It's been going on as long as I've used an explorer which is pushing 10 years now. It's not about anything but $$$! So there's really no tough questions.

I can tell.....someone needs an E-Trac ;D

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottlebum said:
Iron Patch said:
stasys said:

I can tell.....someone needs an E-Trac ;D

No, I just need some sites that aren't beat quiet! :wink:

Attachments

• 10years1.jpg
    10years1.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 553
  • 10years1.jpg
    10years1.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 551

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quote: "No, I just need some sites that aren't beat quiet!"

That's what most E-Trac users thought before they got their E-Tracs. :thumbsup:

Seriously though...........Nice bunch of finds there IP. Thanks for the pic.

HH, Bottlebum

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottlebum said:
Quote: "No, I just need some sites that aren't beat quiet!"

That's what most E-Trac users thought. :thumbsup:

Seriously though...........Nice bunch of finds there IP. Thanks for the pic.

HH, Bottlebum

John Deere matters way more where I hunt than changing to an E-trac even if it was a bit better. (huge if)

I think I'll call that my nuclear pic. ;D (It ends the debate for me anyway)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread