Etrac

issombeituni

May 26, 2013
Hey Guys,

I recently sold my Safari and got into a Etrac I pick her up Sunday. Been reading online material and ordered Andys book. What is some advice you can share with me as a new user. The Safari was not a issue for me but I know this has way more settings.

I mainly hunt parks and school near me (old sites ) and old homesteads.

look for and Id Chart to help out and someone to explain ferrous and conductive to me. ( i know ferrous is iron ) also the difference in the ferrous sound mode or conductive l had that on the safari and never heard a diff.

thanks guys.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
My Etrac gave me fits until I settled down, slowed down, and went back to the basics of listening only to the sounds.

This is a new beast with great features, and it is very sensitive. Initially I thought something was wrong, that it was defective - so many sounds, falsing, difficulty in pin-pointing. I ran the sensitivity down from auto to manual way down to get rid of those confusing and overwhelming noises - seems I'd forgotten the real definition of "slow down". And as time passed I matured into the beast.

Pin pointing is still a treat, but far better now since I read some of the tips on Saving History One Piece at a Time - Home

Look for the E-Trac Emulator (ENGLISH VERSION), it's on Minelab's site, but you have to be a paying member there to download it - or even find it. I stumbled into it last year:

Try this - http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/942...p-etrac-en.exe

And this (US coins to put in emulator) - http://www.thebeepgoeson.com/downloa...c_US_Coins.zip

These links are over a year old, don't know if they are still valid - but the info is out there hiding somewhere. The emulator is a pretty tough find. It's actually best for learning how to change settings in the field without having to search over and over again - it makes the menu a snap - with practice :)

Other tips I've found helpful, and note there are other sites with forums which offer a great deal of info more encapsulated than here:

e-trac_settings_112410.png

ETrac Target Card Sheet.jpg

There are plenty pattern and mod files available on-line - mostly on other forum sites - Google them, but don't get carried away with those until you get used to your beast. They divert your attention away from learning your machine.

Good luck - I hope this help in some way.

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in the same boat as the OP - that emulator is free for download if you Google it. I did that a couple of days ago, and although it can't prepare you for everything (it only does one target at a time, and I have yet to see anything iron on any of the zip sets), it's a start.

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's the general lay of the land for the E-Trac. Of course in the ground the Fe value can shift south somewhat. Also, the garbage factor - it mimics most good targets - so unless you dig you'll never be sure what's in the ground.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting