Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Most of us don't like to think about death but it is a fact of life. There are countless people dying at any given time. Some die quickly but some take a while, even years. Sometimes dying people are at home for various reasons and this can put a tremendous heavy load on a loved caretaker. It can be very hard for a caretaker to actually get out of the house, even for necessities. Sometimes a caretaker needs a couple of hours to just take a deep breath, to have a moment of their own to be away from the constant care giving. Care giving can be very hard, even very taxing on an individual and can even affect their own health. As a Hospice volunteer, you enable someone to get away, to take care of things that they haven't been able to. The thanks in the caretaker's voice and eyes says it all. Sometimes the patient is bed ridden and may sleep the whole time but other times you may have someone who is able to talk. Sometimes you can learn a lot about the life of this person by simply talking a little and listening a lot. I sat with a man a year or so ago that had been a Game Warden for years. This was a man that many feared to see but most did not. I remembered him checking my license (hunting and fishing) numerous times over the years. He had been a figure of authority but now was but a shell of himself. I didn't know the wife a first but I knew the daughter, she was a special needs person and I had seen her at the Special Olympics numerous times. The wife was so thankful to get out to do some shopping while I sat with him and talked about what he had done over the years. Yeah, it require a few hours of my time but it was totally worth it. Then you find out that he was a Vet and learn about where and when he had served. This guy had put his life on the line for you and me, so what's a few hours here and there? There are a bunch of Vets, both male and female stuck in nursing homes that just wish someone would stop and visit with them. Some of these people were real heroes, even if they weren't Vets. So, ever consider?

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Great post. My mom has taken care of several family members full time on their last leg of life including her mother and mother-in-law. The sacrifices she made doing this puts her at saint status in my book. You're 100% right, people who are the caretakers DO need a break.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for giving us something to think about DL. I believe too often we are busy with whatever we are doing, and fail to appreciate other people, as well as the blessings that we have.

pjdentry

Mar 6, 2017
Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've worked for hospice for a couple of years. Wonderful folks and a lot of excellent stories. If you think you might be right for it, consider volunteering for being a friendly visitor for hospice folks. It's at most only an hours or two a week and makes such as impact. My grandmother was 96 when she went onto hospice, she has lost all of her friends years before. Sometimes it's nice when someone besides your family takes interest in you.

If you do have a family member or friend with about 6 months to live, do consider hospice as an option. They really do a lot and help the process go much more smoothly. And it's usually free.

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post. My 96 year old father inlaw just lost his 93 year old wife 6 months ago and now he is failing quickly. He will be moving in with my wife and I soon.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Good post DL. Hospice came in the last couple of months of Dad's life. Checked on him in the country a couple of times a week. I took over at least once a week so Mom could get out to Bingo. It gave her some needed time off too.
Mom spent the last week of her life in Hospice House of Kansas City. Went from a week in the hospital to there. She got the very BEST of care there. They have an RN and an LPN for every 4 guests. No way our family could have paid for that kind of care. The gal that ran it told me they had had 12K deaths there. It takes special people to face that every day. My thanks to all who serve.

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pinpointer II, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent post... My stepfather and grandmother both ended up with hospice care before they passed. It's a wonderful thing to have someone help with the care of a bedridden individual. I don't think my Mom could have survived without it. Now I'm sure that I don't have many more years before I will need hospice care. I have multiple sclerosis and it seems to get worse all the time. My wife takes care of me now, when I am not able to take care of myself. Luckily it is relapsing remitting so I am not affected all the time yet. I know when it is my turn that I will be so happy just to have someone so she can have a break. These people are angels on earth in my opinion. I'm so glad to see something like this posted... :hello2:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great POST Dirtlooter. LIKE i said in a earlier post abou tyou. I CONSIDER IT AN HONOR JUST to KNOW YOU and call you my FRIEND !!!'

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hospice, imho, is the best thing since sliced bread. What these selfless individuals did for my Dad over 6 months and then, shortly after, for Mom, can never adequately be repaid. I hold them...and all you volunteers here...in the HIGHEST regard! 👍

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you are one nice guy
I thought this was for me to go into hospice or not
I don't plan to, if I become terminal I plan to peep in T_H's windows and get shot ( death by Mod)

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very kind of you, dirtlooter. Both of my parents were in hospice towards the end. I was in an OK place while they were there. It's tough to accept that it's the last stop on the train, but I knew they were at peace. And at the end, the respect and kindness from everyone involved was so nice. I am sure your are that person for so many.

I do a lot of charity work for abused children, battered women, and families in crisis. I also mentor a junior high school student who has special needs. Nothing gives me more heart felt pleasure than seeing something good that I've done make someone's day or life just a little bit better.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post dirtlooter. And God bless your mom, Philvis.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There are countless people that do volunteer work, so many that do it selflessly without thought of any sort of reward. I just believe that in many ways, we should do something for our communities that sort of pays it back. Sometimes we feel like there is nothing that we can do for others just because of a disability or our age but the truth is far from that. There are so many ways and levels that we can be of help to others. Working with Hospice also prepared me for my own mother's slow goodbye. Working with high school and middle school special needs kids helped me in dealing with stroke problems that I was dealing with myself. It becomes a lot easier to help people that can't help themselves if you have been in their shoes at one time. There is nothing like comparing scars with a 14 year old boy to show him that he can still be someone despite the scars. We have a lot of young Vets that just need someone to talk to or to even get involved in something like detecting. I consider detecting therapeutic.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DL Excellent post and I agree that these folks are unsung heroes. I volunteer in the senior living homes and it is rewarding. With that said, don't everyone get all over my case when I say. "Dang it Dirt Looter you just gave me an excellent Idea on how to get some permissions!!!" Now back to the regular program :)

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does a heart good to help others especially the elderly towards the end of their journey. Their story is also important for those who take the time to listen.Thank you for giving us a nice thoughtful post.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mother died from terminal cancer four years ago and we had hospice involved for the last six months of her life.
These people are truly Angels and not only took care of our mother, but were taking care of all of us through this tough time.
Mom spent the last three days of her life in a hospice house with all her family by her side. These people went above and beyond anything expected of them to make my mother as comfortable as possible in her final days.
They not only took care of her, but helped us all as much as they could too deal with our lose.
There is a special place in heaven for people like this, and I'm grateful.
Not sure I could do it, but I'm glad there are people who can.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
obviously a lot of people have been affected by a loved one dying and the kindness of a volunteer coming in and helping with numerous things. Sometimes the focus is so much on the dying person that the welfare of the others involved is forgotten. I watched my own father age considerably in the time that my mother slowly died. He claimed that he was just fine but the stress still takes a toll and we all could see it. I have sat and listened to a caretaker as they poured their hearts out in thanks for just a couple of hours that they had to go take care of things. These are but a few of the things that put life into perspective and can give you a new outlook on life. But, as I more or less stated before, you don't have to be a Hospice Volunteer to be an impact in your community, there are countless other needs, you just have to open your eyes and look. If you still can't see a need, then ask. I really think that in some areas, returning vets or other vets dealing with post traumatic problems would benefit from a metal detecting club or individuals willing to get them involved in something to get them busy. There are a lot of aspects of our hobby that would be very beneficial to them. Just something to think on. DL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread