What's new

Ever had Giant Puffballs?

Many like to harvest shrooms in the button stage. Puff balls included.
This is when many mistakes are made. Even with the experienced.
Even next door to each other doesn't mean puff ball.
With a button puff ball always slice in half to be sure there are no gills.
Gills don't always mean bad, but might. It will tell that it's not a puff ball.
The mushroom we all buy in the store, in the button stage resembles the
poisonous Amanita family. A farmer that allowed collecting on his farm told
me of two experienced collectors that died from shrooms they found there.
I'm not trying to scare anyone, just be aware. Most commonly collected types
are very recognizable.

For myself, puff balls are a bit like Styrofoam. Not a lot of flavor but that's ok.
The largest I've found was volley ball sized.
Megalodon, I grew from a kit once long ago. It worked. I might try growing from
a spore print in the future. Seems to best way to guaranty what is grown.
I have no green thumb but I will follow a leader. And be careful of being sloppy.
Get to know the bad boys.
 
Ive been more into the chanterelles, delicious!
 
hvacker - I like the idea of growing from a spore print. I haven't done one in years but my wife still does them and growing from the print is like 2 birds with one stone...
 
I get those in my yard from time to time. Never thought about eating them. What do you fry them with?
 
I get those in my yard from time to time. Never thought about eating them. What do you fry them with?

Do not eat! Only with a positive ID from someone that knows and then check again.
But once known for sure, ya, butter, salt if you like. Like said, cut in half to be sure there are no gills.
 
There are no other fungi like giant puffball larger than a softball.
 
I get those in my yard from time to time. Never thought about eating them. What do you fry them with?
Giant puffball are like sponges when cooked. Therefore, fry in bacon grease. Can’t go wrong.
 
I lightly fry them in purified butter (Ghee) and a touch of Garlic. Sometimes we will bread them with Italian seasoned flour too. They grow pretty dang big here in a good summer monsoon season. They are delicious with a flavor all their own! Good stuff.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom