Ever heard of a U.S. Mint pattern coin?

Don Lewis

Apr 28, 2024
This one is the first year the Morgan Dollar was made. It looks very similar but if you look closely and compare it to a Morgan silver dollar there’s quite a few distinct differences. Can you see them? I’d say the condition of this one is extra fine maybe a little better. This is the first pattern coin I ever found.

Attachments

• IMG_7377.jpeg
    IMG_7377.jpeg
    35.5 KB · Views: 75

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one is the first year the Morgan Dollar was made. It looks very similar but if you look closely and compare it to a Morgan silver dollar there’s quite a few distinct differences. Can you see them? I’d say the condition of this one is extra fine maybe a little better. This is the first pattern coin I ever found.
Lots of differences, mostly the reverse where the eagle wings are in a totally different pose. also the "In God We Trust" and "E Pluribus Unum" is swapped from obverse to reverse.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No wreath on the reverse either.

OP
OP
D

Don Lewis

Apr 28, 2024
Lots of differences, mostly the reverse where the eagle wings are in a totally different pose. also the "In God We Trust" and "E Pluribus Unum" is swapped from obverse to reverse.
Good eye!đź‘Ť

camichael

May 29, 2020
La Verne, Calif
Detector(s) used
White's, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard of pattern coins but not familar with their value? I assume they bring a premium. What do you value it at?

OP
OP
D

Don Lewis

Apr 28, 2024
I've heard of pattern coins but not familar with their value? I assume they bring a premium. What do you value it at?
Yes there value is much higher then just a common coin. Not all numismatists collect pattern coins because of their premium value, but just like anything else it’s only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it.

OP
OP
D

Don Lewis

Apr 28, 2024
Yes there value is much higher then just a common coin. Not all numismatists collect pattern coins because of their premium value, but just like anything else it’s only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it.
Not always easy to put a price on something like this. Because a lot less were made of them. Then common coins in circulation.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost every coin design had various patterns that differed from the adopted design. They certainly have value, but bear in mind that they are also very heavily counterfeited by the Chinese coin mills. For every genuine coin, there are thousands of fakes. Steps you can take yourself would be to weight it, it should weigh the same as a standard Morgan Dollar, and have it XRF tested for metal content.

OP
OP
D

Don Lewis

Apr 28, 2024
These many differences. Is exactly what makes it a pattern coin. They made several different versions until they were happy with one design. Finally to make it America’s silver dollar coin. Pretty cool history on America’s pattern coins.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So...were they put into circulation by accident or??

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP DÄ“us II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fascinating. 🤨
Steps you can take yourself would be to weight it, it should weigh the same as a standard Morgan Dollar,
According to Wiki: (Good starting point article)
A pattern coin is a coin which has not been approved for release, but produced to evaluate a proposed coin design. They are often off-metal strike (using metals of lower value to test out the dies), to proof standard or piedforts.
..so I'm not sure weighing would necessarily be proof positive.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
such a pattern coin would sell for 10's of thousands if legit. China is preproducing a lot of stuff these days, even coins only worth a few hundreds.

OP
OP
D

Don Lewis

Apr 28, 2024
Fascinating. 🤨

According to Wiki: (Good starting point article)

..so I'm not sure weighing would necessarily be proof positive.
It weighs the same as a Silver dollar. First thing I checked. Also a magnet doesn’t stick to it.

OP
OP
D

Don Lewis

Apr 28, 2024
Almost every coin design had various patterns that differed from the adopted design. They certainly have value, but bear in mind that they are also very heavily counterfeited by the Chinese coin mills. For every genuine coin, there are thousands of fakes. Steps you can take yourself would be to weight it, it should weigh the same as a standard Morgan Dollar, and have it XRF tested for metal content.
You are correct. Most things that are valuable have been counterfeited not just money. This one does weigh the same as a silver dollar.

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP DÄ“us II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It weighs the same as a Silver dollar. First thing I checked. Also a magnet doesn’t stick to it.
That may be meaningless. The article says that they are often struck from metals of lower value, so I wouldn't necessarily expect a genuine pattern coin to weigh the same as silver. A counterfeiter may or may not know that, so may make the weight equal to silver (considering the increased value and scrutiny).

If it were me, I'd want more specific/detailed information about that particular issue (in order to verify), a solid coin provenance, and certification from one or more of the recognized services. If the coin is genuine, IMO, it'd be worth the fees.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread