Ever Try Metal Detect A Park Downtown On A Week Day? Its Hilarious!

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Ever Try Metal Detect A Park Downtown On A Week Day? It's Hilarious!

I had yesterday off, so I headed downtown to a fairly small park with a wading pool in the center. It is surrounded with grassy hills, trees and park benches. I hunt this location only once a year, as it is an experience all on its own. There are soooooo many people around gawking at you while you detect. Many can't help but approach you and ask the darnedest question.

The first inquiry was from a business man who thought I was playing croquet, with my detector as the mallet. After I clarified what exactly I was doing, he sincerely asked if anyone had ever suggested I was crazy, to which I admitted yes. He proceeded to give me a good firm handshake, said he was very glad me meet a fine fellow such as myself and asked if I wanted to search for a lost ring at one of his golf courses.

The second hilarious interruption came from an elderly lady, perhaps in her sixties. She wanted to know if I had any luck, then told me she too once found a ring once in her life, of course without using a metal detector. Then, she said she was a nature lover, a kind of tree hugger type, and proved it by taking her last puff from a cigarette, then stated she always makes sure she steps on her cigarette on the sidewalk (which she did) before tossing it in the grass, so as to not hurt the grass. Bless her heart.

The third person didn't beat around the bush. He was straightforward and asked where he could buy a metal detector like mine...or should I say "MINE". I told him mine wasn't for sale, and he walked away disappointed, as he figured winter was going to start next week and he wouldn't have one for the rest of this week.
There were many others, but these stood out in my memory. A great experience it was! I ended up hunting two other parks and these are my totals below.

Attachments

• downtown.jpg
    downtown.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 345

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Ever Try Metal Detect A Park Downtown On A Week Day? It's Hilarious!

Wow, nice hunt, John! :thumbsup: You had to put up with all the inquiries but have a huge pile of coins to show for it. Will you hunt for the ring at the golf course?

Keep digging!

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just imagine what you could have found if all those people didn't stop you from detecting. :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: Nice haul! John :thumbsup:

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro

Michiganne said:
Wow, nice hunt, John! :thumbsup: You had to put up with all the inquiries but have a huge pile of coins to show for it. Will you hunt for the ring at the golf course?

Keep digging!

No.....I didn't follow through with it.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I love the questions from the people. Many are very curious about the hobby and this might be the first detector they've seen anyone use outside of the History Channel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions