Everyday scrap metal Apt. Building

WildernessAU

Dec 25, 2009
Hey guys, Merry Christmas
I'm new to this forum and wanted some of your valuable input.
I've scrapped some alum and copper in the past.
I live in an apartment building and have access to a good ammount of storage. I was thinking of putting a receptacle next to the recycling for "metal only". I'm guessing I'll get mainly cans and some aluminum from food products. Is it worth keeping random screws, bolts and the like?
What about metal from furniture? Most furniture metal is probably iron....which is prob not worth keeping on a small scale?
Electrical wires? I have bunches of 2-8inches of random insulated wire.....is this worth keeping also?
What about extension cords?

Thanks for any input, and happy hunting!
D

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
I also haul scrap metal and yes those screws, nuts, bolts add up. Also keep any wire cords off appliances and such just cut them off and take them in forget what it is a pound here but that copper in those cords are pretty good and easy cash. Also the thick electrical wire that is used in houses strip it with a utility knife just clap one end down in a vise maybe and slide knife along top then peel off the rest of the insulation. DON'T waste time pulling insulation off normal wire from appliances or exstention cords way to much of a hassle. Any metal furniture the metal parts not the wood they charge you trash for wood on your stuff but things like folding chairs and such. Metal here is 5 cents a lb. I don't tear furniture apart just for the screws and such to much hassle for little reward. If you find mattresses and box springs in the trash around your apartment worth cutting off the outer layer and keeping the springs I don't go looking for mattresses or box springs though. Of course now the question do you have a trailer or truck to haul all of this? Seperate your wire, aluminum, clean copper, and metal you will find each pays differently and well worth the effort to seperate. Good luck hope I was informative.

Edit: forgot to tell you watch out other metal collectors will run off with your stuff so keep an eye on things

OP
OP
W

WildernessAU

Dec 25, 2009
Frank, thanks for the reply. Luckily the recycling is kept inside a secure garage so hopefully I won't have much trouble. I just found 20 old aluminum exit lights, which were pretty easy to strip and ended up with about 22lbs of alum.
I do have a truck but the nearest scrap yard is 1 hr away, so I'm thinking of stockpiling the better scrap and not messin with the lower paying stuff right now.
Are most nuts, bolts, screws, nails steel? or some other alloy? I'm sure there are various kinds but what kind of price could I expect for 1lb or random bolts?

Thanks a bunch. D

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Yeah most nuts and bolts are metal but always check with a magnet if it sticks then it is metal if not then it is something else more than likely aluminum. Yeah take the copper, aluminum, lead pays pretty good also. Plain metal doesn't pay as well as the other stuff so if you just have a truck and the scrap yard is an hour away just haul the good stuff.

Rumblebelly

Jan 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
(RS)Discovery 2000, white's bullseye, NEW DFX!!!
welcome to the forum Wilderness AU

most screws are steel and pay between 6-8 cents per pound right now.
a five gallon bucket of these will weight about 70 pounds ... do not mix tin/sheet steel with these as it will devalue this by a few cents per pound. Pipe fittings are good though. Anything over 3/16" as a rule.

if the magnet does not stick and they feel light then it's aluminum
if it does not stick and it feels as heavy as steel and is silver in color then it is probably stainless steel
if they're yellow and it does not stick then it's most likely yellow brass

other goodies to look for by approx value:
green/circuit boards: .04 per lb
sheet/shred-able steel/tin: .06 per pound and going up
cast iron/heavy steel .08 per lb and going up
electric motors: .15 per lb
zinc: .15 per lb
cast aluminum: .30 per lb
aluminum: .35 per lb
aluminum cans: .40 per lb
304SS: .40 per lb
316SS: .50 per lb
#2 insulated wire(the thick appliance cords and multi strand wires, Christmas lights): .40-50 per lb
#1 insulated wire (thick copper and little coating): .60 per lb
copper aluminum radiators: check with yard it's been a while for me on this one. I'll wait for near a 1.00 per lb
yellow brass: I hold for about $1.00 per pound
red brass: I hold for about $1.25 per lb
copper#2: I have not sold any only around $1.50 per lb
copper#1: I have not sold any only around 1.75 per lb
Not all of these values are current, but should be close. For any trip you make get prices over the phone before you drive an hour to get there. Hope this helps.

Happy Hunting and New Year
Rumblebelly

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions