Everything you wanted to know about medelman or Not

medelman

Tenderfoot
Feb 1, 2005
White Bear Lake, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Hi, just thought I would introduce myself! This is my first post on here, but I've been reading it for awhile. I just purchased a MineLab Explorer II and should have it by tommorrow! I'm excited to start detecting, but I'm afraid the weather here in Wisconsin is going to be holding me back for awhile longer. The photo is about 6 months old and was taken of me and my wonderful girlfriend Theresa up in Bayfield, WI. We were there for the day while camping at Copper Falls State Park in Northern Wisconsin. What a beautiful park! If you haven't noticed both of us have Dwarfism. For the most part we are both pretty average people! She's in her last year of college up in Duluth and I work for a software company. I don't have a degree, but am thinking about going back to school someday. I am 28 and she is 21. Our one year anniversary is coming up March 4th. We live about 5 hours apart and we met on line! It's been the most wonderful ride of my life, and I can honestly say that she is the woman I will marry someday. Knock on wood. ;)
I never liked photos of myself and I need to get a newer one then this. I've been trying to lose weight and have lost about 30 so far. I've tried using a detector many years ago, but had problems with it, mainly because of being physically unfit and overweight. I think one of the biggest concerns I have right now is holding the minelab explorer for long periods of time. I know there made alot lighter then they used to be, but well my arms are shorter if you haven't noticed.. ;D I am sure I will manage just as with everything else in life!!
Are there any tips I need to know before I get started in this exciting hobby? I've been eyeing different public parks and places I can hunt when the time comes, but also trying to think of places I should research. I haven't been this excited about something is such a long time!! Besides my girlfriend, but she isn't a Hobby :) I just will need to get her at least interested in metal detecting! I haven't talked to her much about it yet, but I showed her some of the finds that people posted on the website, like the nice Sapphire and Diamond ring. ;)
Anyways.. Lunch is almost over here at work and I need to get back to the Grind. I have throughly enjoyed reading about other people's discoveries and there experiences with Metal Detecting. I look forward to being a part of this on line community.

Matthew

P.S. medelman is nothing other then my first name initial + last name, but I guess it does sort of sound like "Metal Man" ???

Attachments

• MeAndTheresa.JPG
    MeAndTheresa.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 774

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hey Medelman, one thing you've got going for you is location. Remember that little fire tat happened up there on the day of the "great" chicago fire? Many times the number of people perished in No. Wisconsin compared to the Chicago fire over those days and many, many towns were lost forever to the woods. Where these do not fall into protected areas they might provide some nice detecting possibility. Some of the remains may be nearby or in current towns. Remember to check with DNR on those State Parks up there. They can be finicky.

Oh yeah paddled a lot of the rivers up there, the Namekagon, St. Croix for a couple hellish trips too. Not because of the water, just cold water paddling at it's nastiest. As for sizing the EX II, Not sure. Might wanna find someone that can modify the handle. Did that for younger kid when she was smaller with her BH. She's in high school now but still too small for an EX II or the bigger machines herself but she gets by with my 1235X, which I also modified the shaft on.

OP
OP
medelman

medelman

Tenderfoot
Feb 1, 2005
White Bear Lake, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
I forgot to mention that I'm actually in Milwaukee. But I definately hope to get up to northern wisconsin again, plus her family has a cabin in Siren, WI over in the northwest. Milwaukee has alot of history, just not Civil War History :).

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome "M" , I hope you enjoy the site

tracey

Jan 9, 2005
TN
Y'all look happy together! this site is great if you have questions, everyone is so helpful. good luck!

Cladius

Mar 8, 2004
Hey med-man welcome. One thing nice about the EX II is that it is telescoping and you should be able to shorten it easily. I also have seen a kit to move the controll to a hip mount to lessin the weight. let us know how you make out it is an awsome machine and you will be finding cool treasure soon. Oh yeah good looking lady you got there! Cladius.

GunFarce

Dec 26, 2004
Innisfil On Canada
Hi medelman.. I'm kinda in the same boat, but at the opposite end.. I also have a machine, that I can't 'really' use yet because of weather, but the thing that has me most worried about when I finally do get out there, is I'm a little over six feet tall, 240 lbs, and have bad knees, and one bad shoulder.. You have the advantage of being closer to the ground, but dammit, I gotta figure a way to actually get down and dig something without pain..
Anyway Welcome to the forum.. I've found it to be the best source of information, with the most knowledgeable and friendly people I've found on the web..

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
Hey Medalman,I have to say this ..You look familiar...Have you ever been around Marshfield,Wausau,Spencer etc?Oh yes and welcome to the hunt and dig board 1it's a Cool place to be.Anyway,I have been getting the deep inspirational edge to get out and find stuff Mostly looking for the elusive Rock from space! Know anyone who needs their field checked for junk?I did about a 40 acre field once and the temp was about 91 and sunny..It was warm but worth it!I was told by the Meteorite man that there should be rocks everywhere ..But most are below the ground and rusting away! unless of course you get the kind that don't rust as fast..I have sent him three Possible ones already but they were notmeteorites...Hematite...Now I know what it looks like so thats one item I don't have to be picking up!I have a lot of place on my listings but will need permission first.
Note! Will do any kind of detecting as long as it is legal or at least you have permission by land owner... even crime type scenes..No questions asked... free!!Have references too!not afraid of steep sides,Like in gravel pits.

williefire

Feb 11, 2005
Statesboro Georgia
Hey Med....I've owned the minelabs in the past and have found a Tesoro micro max to be a much better machine,both in weight and sensitivity.I have been back to sites I hunted with the Minelab and found things i missed that i couldnt believe i missed.Besides that the micro max only weighs about 2 Lbs.I can swing that thing all day..Just something to consider...Looking forward to hearing from U in the future..

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
Hi Matt, Young and in love, thats the way to be :) , happy to have ya here, i'm still new to the hobby "err.... i mean obsession" and i am learning alot here, i have a fisher Pulse 10 boat towed metal detector that i am still tring to figure out, but i am looking forward to that someday soon to get a hand held ( underwatercapable of course ::) ) but all of the bills have to be paid before that happens :'( , but i do like the idea of the belt clip models, seems it would be alot easier swinging.

Pat.

whiskers

Dec 13, 2003
Silicon Valley
Hey Matthew, you guys are sure a good looking couple. Living five hours apart has a couple of advantages, but I'll bet you've found that out.

You asked about heavy detectors. I have a 1974 White's GEB set, which was offered - and I bought - at the time as a two piece affair, one piece the coil and handle, the other the electronics and batteries box (lots & lots of batteries). The second piece, which had most of the weight, came with a strap so you could hang it around your neck. (There's no doubt a name for this type of arrangement, but I can't think of it.) Anyway, maybe someone is making two piece sets like that today. You carry the box and cut the coil shaft to fit. Simple. (My newest set is a 1976 Compass Magnum I still use and see no reason to update. But it does keep me from learning about what's on the market today.)

You say, "Are there any tips I need to know before I get started in this exciting hobby? I've been eyeing different public parks and places I can hunt when the time comes, but also trying to think of places I should research." Research is my favorite part. If you can be a bit more specific about whether you want to find old parks for old coins or old places you can find relics, I might have an idea or two about how you can go about it.

-Jim Lyons

S

SASQUASH

Hay M-Man yes there is a way to modefie the Mini lab to a hip mount. SASQUASH By the way I have been marryd for 14 years & I still enjoy it you should Marry that girl.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread