Excal Shaft Question

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shaft is painted. I got some discount marine paint at the boat store for $5, it was $13-$35 at lowes. I thought it would be darker blue but its ok it will fit in perfectly with the 80s theme excal colors. Still need a arm cuff recommendation if anyone has one. That is my last piece.

View attachment 1316323
Use arm cuff off your stock shaft..

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shaft is painted. I got some discount marine paint at the boat store for $5, it was $13-$35 at lowes. I thought it would be darker blue but its ok it will fit in perfectly with the 80s theme excal colors. Still need a arm cuff recommendation if anyone has one. That is my last piece.

View attachment 1316323

I have that same Anderson green shaft but I didn't like the pods next to my lat (under my forearm). I didn't like the weight there or the interference touching my side. So I moved that foot long piece to behind my elbow using a piece of aluminum tubing from dismantling a crutch. Get crutches at a thrift store for about $3 a pair. All my excals have the pod behind the elbow. Here's some pics.

Attachments

• IMG_1251.JPG
    IMG_1251.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1250.JPG
    IMG_1250.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_1249.JPG
    IMG_1249.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 180

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are mine...

eaa62461323f210bc172be7e5b9672db.jpg

OP
OP
A

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am still waiting for all of my parts and will post pics when its done but for those looking to do a similar project here are some measurements:

Shaft should be around 7/8'' (.875) in outer diameter and .65 inner diameter. You want to get as close to 7/8 as possible because that is the size the bike handlebar grip fit onto. Length can be changed based on what you prefer. Stock upper shaft is around 28'' but I made mine 34''. The bottom part of my shaft that connects the base/battery is 12''. Each of the pieces of PVC that connects the bottom part to the shaft is 1''.

Also, the stock excalibur arm cuff does not have holes for strap so I am going to have to put them in myself. I have an oscillating tool that will easy do the job. Kinda surprised they didnt have the slots though.

(deleted by mod, no links to competing forums)

Last edited by a moderator:

Pull Tabs

Apr 9, 2015
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Bountyhunter, 2 Howie scoops 1 RTG scoop
Primary Interest:
ABomb just attach strap to the bolt holes you use to secure he cuff on the shaft like this.

Attachments

• IMG_1499.JPG
    IMG_1499.JPG
    259.1 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
OP
OP
A

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
I have tried every type of shaft possible haha. I have made two of them and extended the s shaft. I just wanted to see which was the most comfortable and I am glad I did. I started by wanting the under the elbow shaft. I almost ordered one for $100+. I made one for around $25 and realized I hated it. The weight was only slightly better and it was not good in waist deep water due to the drag. I am glad I only spent $25 to find that out.

I then tried an extension on the S Shaft. This was a huge difference in weight and is a good option for someone who doesn't have the time to build one nor the money for a straight shaft. I think its a good temp option. So while I figured out what I was going to do next I used this. I was going to just use it for the summer and then buy a plugger in the fall or spring. But then I decided to build another because I had most of the parts already...

So I built a straight shaft one with the unit behind the elbow. I tested it yesterday and it was great. Very light, no wobble or anything like that, and I could very easily swing it all day. I found an aluminum broom handle at lowes for $4 and I made my handle out of PVC for $5. I didn't like the bike handle and this pvc one is much better and I wrapped it with a velcro strap but I think a piece of neoprene that holds a beer/soda can would be good too. I put links on this words to lowes so that you can see what I used. If anyone is looking to make one its very easy. You need a hack saw and drill. The holes for drilling are 1/4 and screws are size 1/4-20. Pretty simple to do. Any PVC you use should fit a 1/2'' piece of PVC as this is the same size of the S Shaft.

Here are some pics:

27564494446_be8d0701ef.jpg

27525760181_bd10576f93.jpg

26989472973_50028af423.jpg

Some other things I did to this...

I have a plugger lock that I had bought for the first one I made that I used to attach the lower and upper rods although I dont think its needed at all and if you wanted it sturdy I believe a piece of duct tape would do the job. I used all plastic screws. I used a Oscillator saw to carve holes in the arm cuff so that I could fit a strap in there.

Total cost would be $36.19 if you were to buy and make exactly what I show here and had none of the parts already. As I said I already had most of this stuff from my other project and things laying around my garage so I actually just spent about $9 to make this.

Here is a breakdown of the parts. I looked them all up so if anyone wants to build this they would know how much it approximately costs:

Pole: $4.50 - lowes
Arm Strap for arm cuff: 4.90 - ebay
Screws (7): 4.84 - lowes
Handle: 5.59 - lowes
Lock: 10.89 - ebay
Velcro for handle: $5.47 - lowes

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions