EXCALIBER 1000

Willy

Any detector can be used.. but how appropriate is the question. I've had an Excalibur and 2 Sov's and I wouldn't use them for nuggethunting. Then again, prospecting is one of my main pursuits. The disc. mode, even in zero disc., is wholly inappropriate and the AM mode is not that sensitive. I did IN GROUND tests with gold and other low conductive targets and found the BBS detectors lacking.. regardless of coil used (S12, WOT, 8", 10"). A much better ML (multipurpose) VLF for prospecting would be the XTerra 70 with the HF DD coil. ..Willy.

Visionquest

Aug 2, 2005
I bought the Eureka for gold detecting at least for smaller stuff. I was recently at the spokane gold show and while there I overheard one of the guys from the Modern Prospectors booth telling a customer that he has used an Explorer 2 with a 15" WOT on it to detect tailing piles in AK with some decent success. I paid attention to this because I also have that setup. With it being FBS and having success with that on larger nuggets, maybe the BBS Xcal would be decent in a similar situation. I know it won't find small gold in any way, but it might not be bad to drag along as a second machine or spare for a friend for the larger stuff. Just another thought.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think you would be happy with the time spent using the Excal when there are other detectors that are better at finding the tiny stuff. While the Excal will find earring backs, nuggets are rounder and require a different type detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread