Excalibur. Is the WOT coil the best way to go

For mostly beach and shallow water detecting? I have to replace my old coil the rubber coating on the wire has disentegrated.
WOT or the SEF 10 12 or 12 15 is way to go but be sure excal is out of warranty...

It's out of warranty all right! Is Barry at Kellyco still the guy to go to for the hardwire?

It's out of warranty all right! Is Barry at Kellyco still the guy to go to for the hardwire?
OBN isn't doing them at the moment so Barry is your best choice..... Barry does excellent work too....

What is the best source for the coils? Kellyco doesn't sell them, right?

Kellyco sells both.

OK thanks when I searched their website I didn't see them I guess time to call Barry!

They will not pop up, but we have a couple in our inventory. Just give me a call, I can get that order and give it to Barry for when you send in your machine for him to work on it. My extension is 125 here if you want to reach me directly.

What is the best source for the coils? Kellyco doesn't sell them, right?

I would go with waterproof connectors and get the Tornado 8" DD for working the first drop off and trashy areas.
And the 10X12 SEF, if you can get it.

At the time I looked into it, about 18 months ago, you could only get the SEF coils from Kellyco.
I had a 10X12 SEF coil on back order, which was cancelled when the Sovereign went out of production (sigh)!

You should not have any trouble getting the larger SEFs as Kellyco, had several in stock.

If you go the waterproof connector route, you will need to also change the connector at each coil to a waterproof one as the sovereign is not water proof.

I havn't played with it, but it should be easier to pinpoint with the larger SEF butterfly coils than the circular DD WOT coil.

Also, I have heard (most likely from OBN) that it is more difficult to use the SEF with a waterproof connector and the diameter of the cable is a little wider, and the wires are not color coded

Last edited:
Sir Gala Clad is correct - nothing beats having the ability to swap coils. I use 8" up to 12 x 15 SEF on my Excal and I'm switching them often due to conditions. But, in my experience the connectors also require routine maintenance and care to prevent leakage.

Sir Gala Clad is correct - nothing beats having the ability to swap coils. I use 8" up to 12 x 15 SEF on my Excal and I'm switching them often due to conditions. But, in my experience the connectors also require routine maintenance and care to prevent leakage.

In addition to adding the ability to swap coils, I am adding the ability to detect with Grey Ghost Amphibian headphones using the CTX 3030 connector as I also hunt with a CTX 3030 plus will add a remote pin point switch so that changing detecting modes is easier.

The above modifications will be made to make my Excalibur so that it can be customized to the beach I will be detecting as well as my hunting style. An additional advantage of using connectors is that it is easier to troubleshoot problems and will be able to replace failed coils and headphones without having to send back to Minelab for repair.

How do you maintain and care for the connectors?

How do you maintain and care for the connectors?

Keep an eye and make sure they do not leak... by pulling apart and checking.

Sand and salt can build in the threads, and if left alone long enough it can work it's way into the sealing surfaces. Just keep things clean so everything seals as it should. Make sure the sealing surfaces don't start to develop set, that sort of thing. When OBN is ready I'm going to send him mine so he can pop in his new connector setup. About time for some headphone repair as well. :thumbsup:

i would go with an sef coil because of the weight of the wot.

chuck.

I have WOT on mine now. If you have the pod shaft mounted, the coil is well balanced, and does not feel too heavy. But, bottom line, WOT is heavy. WOT does not go through water well. I used it on the GT before too.

WOT will pick up a dime over 10 inches. GL digging it lol. Its a good coil. Takes getting used to pinpointing. I see your gonna mod yours, keep us posted lol. gl hh -joe

LOL, I hunt for hours with the WOT including in the water with no problems at all, have hunted from morning to night with WOT, but I'm only 66, you guys must be older...

LOL, I hunt for hours with the WOT including in the water with no problems at all, have hunted from morning to night with WOT, but I'm only 66, you guys must be older...

im not older, just whimpier and less good looking 8-) !!! i dont use a bungee/swingy thingy either.

chuck.

im not older, just whimpier and less good looking 8-) !!! i dont use a bungee/swingy thingy either.

chuck.
LOL, maybe you should...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back