Excalibur settings

BobPA

Feb 18, 2007
Williamsport, Home of Little League Baseball
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, JW Fisher Pulse 8X
I have been using my Excalibur 1000 for about two months now. On land I am mainly hunting coins. Last week I spent two days hunting at a campground that has a music festival once a year. Between 6,000 to 10,000 people attend this event every year. You can imagine how many pull tabs are in the ground!

On day one I set the discriminate to 8 and the sensitivity to 11o'clock. Found 29 coins and tons of trash. The next day I set discriminate to 16 and found 114 coins. I was no longer digging pulltabs and junk. I know that with settings so high that I am discriminating out gold, but still found a silver ring.

Am I doing myself an injustice with settings so high? Will the detector still go as deep on this setting? Any answers are appreciated.
Bob

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Bob,

On my Excal I keep my disc set at 1.5, and sense anywhere between 11-1 depending on the ground. Personally, I would rather dig the pull tabs then be skipping any gold. I understand what you mean about the pulltabs though.

Don't know about the depth..... Sorry. Good luck

Tin Shilling

Tenderfoot
Apr 3, 2007
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur & Explorer SE
I've detected with an excalibur for three years now, mostly scuba diving. I set my discrimination to 0 and my sensitivity as high as possible without going into auto. You will miss small/thin rings, which engagment rings usually are, if you discrimnate out pull tabs. I have a small childs gold ring that is very thin, I bury in a clear area it about 7-9 inches down and adjust my sensitivity as high as possible so that I get a good signal without feedback. For the first year I had my excalibur, I set it on discriminate 0 and auto sensitivity, I did find rings. But after I went back and researched the areas, having set the sensitivity manually, I found small and deep rings, including my gold test ring mentioned above. I also noticed that I started finding way more musket balls once I set the sensitivity manually. The Excalibur is a great machine, I consistently find more then my detecting buddies. I've just purchased an Explorer SE and spend at least half an hour a day burying stuff in my back yard so I can practice.... This is a good way to learn how your detector works. As a side note, I find about 10 times more rings in the water then on land. In about 3 feet of (fresh) water where parents play with their kids.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob,

You might also consider buying the book "Advanced Methods for Finding Gold in the Water with the Minelab Excalibur" By Clive James Clynick.

I picked up a copy and found it has some really good information on using the Excal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread