What's new

Excellent Colonial Button, anyone know about it?

mdmike

Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2004
Messages
47
Reaction score
155
Golden Thread
0
Found in CT in nice environment... has some original silver in the coined area. 1.425" diameter. Probably post Rev War? Maybe English? Looking at the back adds an interesting question ... was there a positive and negative die??
 

Attachments

  • 96263533_2565345007063258_5221496783762358272_n.webp
    96263533_2565345007063258_5221496783762358272_n.webp
    155.4 KB · Views: 129
  • SANY4783.webp
    SANY4783.webp
    120.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Wow. Big.

We need to see the back as well.
 
Upvote 0
Thats a good one, the size and construction suggests 1750-80. Never seen this design before a lovely find!
 
Upvote 0
Beautiful! Well done on saving this gorgeous button.

It looks to be the same basic design as this one shown in The Complete Button Book. That button depicts Cronus / Chronos "Father Time" and yours looks to be the of that general theme i.e. mourning button design. I wonder if perhaps they were part of a set.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7257a.webp
    IMG_7257a.webp
    1.4 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_7258a.webp
    IMG_7258a.webp
    414.5 KB · Views: 87
Upvote 0
Beautiful! Well done on saving this gorgeous button.

It looks to be the same basic design as this one shown in The Complete Button Book. That button depicts Cronus / Chronos "Father Time" and yours looks to be the of that general theme i.e. mourning button design. I wonder if perhaps they were part of a set.

Not to hijack this thread but can you tell me if the book you referenced is worth acquiring? I know pictures are black and white but do they show the front and back of the buttons?
 
Upvote 0
Not to hijack this thread but can you tell me if the book you referenced is worth acquiring? I know pictures are black and white but do they show the front and back of the buttons?

Hi - No it doesn't have images of the backs and that is unfortunate. It can be a useful reference but really is just an overview. Though I have been able to find many buttons that have been posted on Tnet within. The first section is a history of different types of buttons and how they are made and that is interesting.

I bought my copy used and I think I shopped around for a while until I found one at a good price. I think about $15 would be my max if I were buying this book but I also really like to help solve things here and will take any help I can find even if it is incomplete :)
 
Upvote 0
Hi - No it doesn't have images of the backs and that is unfortunate. It can be a useful reference but really is just an overview. Though I have been able to find many buttons that have been posted on Tnet within. The first section is a history of different types of buttons and how they are made and that is interesting.

I bought my copy used and I think I shopped around for a while until I found one at a good price. I think about $15 would be my max if I were buying this book but I also really like to help solve things here and will take any help I can find even if it is incomplete :)

Thanks for the reply. Cheapest I have found is about $25.00 so I will keep looking.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom