Exciting Find

sensen

Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 800524 View attachment 800561

Out detecting this last Saturday, on an old 1800's farm in the Hampton Roads (Va) area. Found what I initially thought was a piece of eight. On closer inspection, I realized it was to thin for a piece of eight. Soaking in water revealed more detail, and I was able to ID it as an 1652 Oak Tree Shilling Piece. Probably my best find ever. My question is? I know that complete Oak Tree Shillings are valuable, but is there any value to just a piece? View attachment 800524

I'm not sure if I was able to attach photo's of the piece, but any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Scott

Last edited:
Upvote 0

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a find for sure! Wow I can't wait to see it! You must be pumped. Yes even the piece has value as to how much I don't know.

Scouts out!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Scott, Don't know if there's any value to it compared to a whole coin--I'm sure it's worth something, but steelheadwill and oxbowbarefoot have found whole ones and might have a better idea as to value. What state are you in and what sort of location did you find it on?

Regards, Erik

OP
OP
S

sensen

Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Hampton Roads (VA) Area. On the west side of the Chesapeake Bay. About 40 miles inland, on an old farm from the 1800's. The farm sits on about 7 acres, and the owner said that the Confederates camped some where in the area. A hunting buddy found a "flat" button that appeared to be from the civil war. The farm, has been "farmed" since it's been settled Corn, cotton, and soy bean. The owner was surprised at the find, and said that the colonist' traded with the local native americans, and that's how the piece possibly got that far inland. All the way from Mass (Boston) to that little farm. You just never know, do you?

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please try again to attach a picture. We'd love to see it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread