What's new

Expect the unexpected

Urien of Rheged

Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2024
Messages
329
Reaction score
1,733
Golden Thread
1
🥇 Banner finds
1
So I've a massive fascination for Romano British and early medieval history especially local to my area here in Lancashire England.
I have acres of permission that have stretches of old Roman roads through them and also a massive area that surround what was a 1st century Roman fort and vicus (civilian settlement)
Yet Roman relics and coins have been quite elusive really. A handful of grots, a couple of brooches, toggle, Dupondius, Follis and three denarius. I particularly like those denarius but the last one of them I found was over three years ago.
Don't get me wrong I've been blessed on those permissions to find plenty of medieval coins and relics, gold and a bucket list bronze age axehead predating the Romans by 1500 years. But it's the Romam era stuff that I've been chasing.
And so yesterday being limited where I can hunt right now due to crops and long grass I went to a place far from any known Roman settlements or roads to a permission that has never offered up much either and is infested by silver foil milk bottle tops from the 70's and 80's.
First deep signal less than 5 minutes in and right out of the blue....Nerva Denarius from 97AD.
Well bloody hell. 😃

It's a funny old game
20250505_061924.webp
20250505_062058.webp
 
Upvote 62
Thats a nice one. You do get the odd random Roman Silver but they are normally associated with a nearby settlement. Could be the fields they farmed or something else.
 
So I've a massive fascination for Romano British and early medieval history especially local to my area here in Lancashire England.
I have acres of permission that have stretches of old Roman roads through them and also a massive area that surround what was a 1st century Roman fort and vicus (civilian settlement)
Yet Roman relics and coins have been quite elusive really. A handful of grots, a couple of brooches, toggle, Dupondius, Follis and three denarius. I particularly like those denarius but the last one of them I found was over three years ago.
Don't get me wrong I've been blessed on those permissions to find plenty of medieval coins and relics, gold and a bucket list bronze age axehead predating the Romans by 1500 years. But it's the Romam era stuff that I've been chasing.
And so yesterday being limited where I can hunt right now due to crops and long grass I went to a place far from any known Roman settlements or roads to a permission that has never offered up much either and is infested by silver foil milk bottle tops from the 70's and 80's.
First deep signal less than 5 minutes in and right out of the blue....Nerva Denarius from 97AD.
Well bloody hell. 😃

It's a funny old gameView attachment 2206087View attachment 2206086
Awesome!!!! Congrats!!!!!
 
Great save!!
Reminds me of RIC 47 SEAR 3032.
If so, the coin was struck in Nerva's 4th consulship which lasted from (only) Jan. 1,98AD to Jan. 28, 98AD.
Don in SoCal.
I think you absolutely nailed that one my friend.
Thankyou. And may the metal detecting God's smile down on you.

Looks to have been a random loss having put a fair few hours innthe vicinity since and coming away empty handed: but it wasn't all that far from where I found a 2nd century dumb bell toggle and about three quarters of a mile from where I found a Marcus Aurelias denarius a few years ago, so there was obviously some activity in the area 1800 years ago
20221001_215323.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom