Experimental archeaology-beer bottle points

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
I just saw the new Marble forum and thought that it might be good to start a new Knapping forum for those of us who like to break rocks(or bottles).

Here are the points I have made from beer bottle bottoms. The one on the left is my first attempt. The middle one is made from the bottom of a ruby red beer bottle that I found while creek walking for real points. I broke one of the barbs on it, so I have to take it of the necklace and see if I can re-chip it. It was so sharp when I first made it that I could have hunted with it. I had to run the edges over an abrader to dull it enough to wear it. That raw cobalt blue piece is from the bottom of a Milk of Magnesia bottle. Someday I need to knap out a point with that one, should look real nice.

HH

Attachments

• beerbottleheads.JPG
    beerbottleheads.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 351
Upvote 1
K

Kentucky Kache

Really nice work. You could probably make a little $ with those.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Impressive, like the smaller one best, well done, you have a talent.

Molly. :thumbsup:

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Great job. If I tried that, I would definitely cut my fingers off ;D :D ;D :D. Thanks for sharing.

Yeti

Mar 22, 2005
Missouri/ Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE/ Explorer XS/ White's Eagle II sl
Good job! Here is mine.

I have only been at it for a month.

Attachments

• IMG_2904 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2904 (Medium).JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 292
OP
OP
M

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Thanks folks! It is a lot of fun and it helps understand more about how the points were actually made.

Hey catcha! That is some nice work for the time you have been at it. I love the blue one and plan to do one soon!

Swamp! I just started reading about knapping online in the tutorials and an article in a woodsmans magazine. Do a search on primitive skills tutorials. They teach about all aspects of primitive living skills. There are also a few knapping websites that have lots of info about the craft and about knap-ins and rendezvous around the country.

Gotta love it! It takes us back to our roots and gives one a sense of empowerment.

Back to the future!

Good luck & Happy Knapping!

A

Atlantis0077

Excellent,

Some of the nicest ones I have seen were made from the old Milk of Magnesia bottles.....they may a good blue point. Also, if you can get some of the slag glass. I see lots of it in Arkansas that make some nice points with different colors and swirls.

I appreciate folks who can nap points well. I just dont have the patience I suppose. Its a skill to be sure.

Atlantis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread