Better than nothing

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Not much better than nothing but... The wife made me attend a party today that I really didn't care to but keeping the happily family thing together I decided it was in my best interest. It was so unbelievably hot out that words couldn't describe it. When we pulled in their yard I noticed a corn field behind there house, and it ran up to a creek! After making the customary social obligations I asked Tim, the owner of the land, if he minded if I walked a row or two in the field- he didn't mind a bit. To make a long story short, the corn was at the perfectly wrong level, waist high and bushy as all get out- that on top of the high temps and humidity made it rough. I walked two or three rows up and down a couple hundred yards and didn't find anything but as I stepped out of the field I found this broken Madison triangular. It's about as common as they get and made from the most common material around here, Hixton, AND it was broke but it did have some fantastic serrations along the edges. The tip appears to have a tiny little impact fracture (opposite side of the scan), probably lost it while hunting. Still better than nothing! :icon_king:

Attachments

• ohwell.jpg
    ohwell.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 306
Upvote 0

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right, it's better than nothing, least you wasn't out hours in this heat. Nice material & serrations, Well done, it's more than I've been finding lately. I can't take this heat, it's in the 90's here, so I'm off out hunting this morning at 6am.
Good luck hunting in the future.

Molly. :)

Attachments

• mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 290
  • mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 294
P

pickaway

I guess sometimes id rather find nothing than just 1 broke.Anyways nice find.

unitas

Feb 24, 2008
Northern Ohio
You sound like me. I find myself peering into fields whenever i can whether its at one of my sons soccer games,family get togethers,garage sales, ----basically any mud or erosion catches my eye and leads me astray.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Way better than what I found this evening. All I could find were the foot prints of the person or persons that beat me to my favorite spot.

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Keep at it Cman,theres alot more fields there for you to walk.Can't find them eating cake and ice cream.

P

patina

Thanks for posting. Don't get to see much this time of year with crop growth. Well worth the sweat dripping into the fields, like we need anymore water this year. Nice find!

OP
OP
Cannonman17

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Patina, actually, in a few days the corn will be high enough where I will be able to see more ground when I walk through it. I barely coverd any of that field, I want to go back and hit the whole thing, I'm talking every row, I'm SURE there are more there, I would love to have you come on down for a day and go with me, let me know if you're interested.

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
savant365 said:
Way better than what I found this evening. All I could find were the foot prints of the person or persons that beat me to my favorite spot.

Oh.... how I hate to see footprints along the river in my favorite spot. I take it so...... personally :D I think things like, "Hey! Who are you to search MY spot hahaha. But then I remember that the early bird gets the worm and vow to be the first one out tomorrow :wink:

OP
OP
Cannonman17

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Guess I'm kind of lucky like that, the artifacts are so sparse in this area that very few people actively collect them. There's one family in the south of the county that has managed to get sole permission from a few land owners to hunt their land but other than that I can only remember going to one site one time and finding foot prints, and that was in a sand blow anyways-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions