Expert vs Amateur

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought you might be amused by this, which has parallels to some of the discussions that happen here on Treasurenet (and other sites).

I was listening to a violin expert being interviewed on the radio. Heā€™d been at the Victoria & Albert Museum in London on a day when the general public could bring in their own items for assessment and ā€“ since the museum was running a special exhibition of musical instruments ā€“ he joked that theyā€™d been knee-deep in ā€˜Stradivariusā€™ violins. The interviewer asked if anything valuable had turned up. He laughed and said no, before recounting a conversation with a visitor which went something like this:

Good morning. What do you have to show us?

An early Stradivarius violin.

Well, letā€™s take a lookā€¦ hmmmā€¦ no thatā€™s a modern violin. Itā€™s not a Stradivarius, Iā€™m afraid.

Yes it is! You didnā€™t spot the label through the sound holes. It clearly says ā€œStradivariusā€.

Yes, I saw that. Itā€™s a fantasy label. It also says ā€œMade in Czechoslovakiaā€. The Stradivarius workshop was in Cremona, in Italy.

Yes, I know. Iā€™ve been researching this on the web and I found a reference that Antonio Stradivari went on holiday to Czechoslovakia with his family in the summer of 1656. He probably made it while he was there.

Antonio Stradivari was born in 1644. He would have been twelve years old.

Yes, so not only is it rare because it was made outside Italy, but it must be one of his earliest instruments. Like an apprentice piece, or something.

It says ā€œMade in Czechoslovakiaā€ in English.

Yes, almost certainly made for export .

Itā€™s a modern instrument. The state of Czechoslovakia didnā€™t exist under that name until 1918, when the First World War ended. Before that it was Bohemia and Slovakia. Itā€™s not a Stradivarius.

Well, thatā€™s what you say but it looks just like the ones Iā€™ve seen on the web. Iā€™ll take it to an expert.

I am an expert actually. Iā€™ve handled a lot of authentic instruments.

Well, thanks anyway, but I know what it is. Iā€™ll keep researching.

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once found a stradivarius effigy in the Trinity River. I guess these East Tx natives saw one brought over by early contact folks. They must have been so amazed by the music that they made a stone effigy and ceremonially sunk it in the murky river waters. Probably an offering to control the flooding and honor the great gods of the rivers. Yep that must have been exactly how it happened. I was so moved by the history that I immediately returned it to it's watery place of ancient honor.

Once , late at night,
I think I heard the fine music in the flow of the river. Then a catfish grabbed my bait and I forgot to listen again.

I'm sure if you go to a remote area of the river and sit perfectly still you will hear the music of a willow bow stroking those strings playing an elaborate composition from some long lost native fire...

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I was never so dismayed as when it was suggested my priceless relic was a mere rock.
I knew better , but felt so bad for those who just couldn't see the three thousand year old spaceship carved in it...

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The "Strad" owner at least debated the appraisal with civility. We sometimes have drama and indignation, even insults injected, to add color.

Hogtown Hunter

Jan 30, 2020
Florida
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like my story from last year. I found this painting someone was throwing out. The gold leaf frame caught my eye. On the back in type written note it said it was a Gustave Cariot painting. When I looked the name up I found his paintings were worth in the tens of thousands. I noticed his paintings looked very different so I was skeptical but I contacted three art appraisers by email. Two never responded but a very nice lady did and said it was not the same style and it was a fake. Undeterred I kept researching and noticed that the Cariot signature at bottom of painting looked like Cariol. When I searched that I found a Paris France painter from the mid 1900s. Heartbreak city.:laughing7: Ive had to work hard for everything I got in life and sometimes you wonder when something lucky like that will fall into your lap? Probably never but keep dreaming. My wife likes the painting so hung it in spare bedroom.

Attachments

• 20200804_220820.jpg
    20200804_220820.jpg
    539.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 20200804_220724.jpg
    20200804_220724.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 20200804_220612.jpg
    20200804_220612.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions