What's new

experts.. i have questions concerning dark/black toning

mope540

Full Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2011
Messages
224
Reaction score
224
Golden Thread
0
Location
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Sovereign XS, E-Trac, Equinox 800, Manticore.
Oldest coin to date...1829 large cent
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are the most spotted or toned of the silvers that i have dug over the years, and i was wanting to know if the dark spots/toning visible on some of them devalue the coin much. If so, would the coins have more value if the dark spots are removed?? Or should they be left alone???

thanks for any advice!!!
 

Attachments

  • 001.webp
    001.webp
    63.1 KB · Views: 307
  • 006.webp
    006.webp
    63.4 KB · Views: 306
  • 008.webp
    008.webp
    64.3 KB · Views: 304
  • 009.webp
    009.webp
    93.3 KB · Views: 348
In general, most collectors prefer a natural coin, black spots and all. If the coins have any value at all, I wouldn't clean them as it will lower their value.
 
:-\

It's a bit of a grey area regarding dug coins, I clean, then tone all my dug coins before I sell them. But I know it's a bit different over there.

SS
 
Don't clean them. It will lower the value.
 
thanks, everyone.
my mom always said to leave things alone... :laughing7:
 
I absolutely love the toning on the seated liberties. Matter of fact I was buying a couple of Franklin Halves over the weekend and picked one that had toning. So, yeah, bring on the patina.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom