Explorer XS

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
I'm looking for one myself right now and it seems like $375 - $425 is about the price range without accessories - at least that's what I've seen on the boards.

Ian

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Actually, one just popped up for $445 and it looks like a good deal with the headphone upgrade and stand. . .

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
$375-$425 is the ticket. I've seen them go for more...........I got one on Ebay for $475 and another for $425. I'd pay up to $500 if it was a really in nice shape one with the box, etc. I'd say it's worth it considering the fact that you're getting almost an identical machine as an Explorer II minus the extra numbers in the digital screen. XS is definately the way to go if you want to get Explorer/SE performance for a fraction of the price.

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Very good to know - thank you. So an XS has very similar performance as the SE (minus the pro coil). That works. Basically that could be the ticket for me - get an XS to try it out and if I get into Minelab - trade it toward an Etrac . . . Ok I think I got it all figured out,

Ian

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
The Explorer XS is almost identical to an Explorer II.......minus the extra numbers on the digital screen (Nothing major because the smartscreen is the one to really work with), that is the biggest difference. With that said............I own both and have used both, and I stick to my XS......I like the way it reacts. There is a difference and I like the XS better. The Explorer II sits as a backup. And with that said, some people who have used the SE have gone back to the II. Some people swear by the II. Certainly the SE and E-Trac have differences to the software and processor, along with some modifications to the body for balance and durability. One known issue with the XS's is that area of the housing which holds the shaft breaks. Minelab in the past has upgraded the housing to the Explorer II housing for under $50 I believe.
I think many Minelab users here will agree that the ProCoil makes a huge difference over the previous stock coils that came with the II and SE.........and this coil along with the others are compatible with the XS. I think it's safe to say that anyone using an XS is getting Minelab Explorer punch in the ground.........and I'd get one over an SE any day, simply because with the money saved, I could get a Sunray Probe and extra coil for it and have a better all around package. No loss in money either, if you decide to upgrade, you're going to get your money back. Some people may come and shoot this reply down, especially the I have to have the newest, but I know that there are people here who will agree with the very similar performance concept. Remember, metal detecting is like fishing. In our minds, we sometimes see a 7lb fish that is really 5lbs and a 10" hole that is actually about 7". We get a little excited sometimes. With the Minelab Explorer machines, the key is learning the machine, coil selection, and of most importance, a slower sweep speed.

Hounddog

Mar 23, 2005
I am waiting on the brown van now I just bought my first XS off eBay $430. I had been watching for lightly used and as close to the $400. mark as I could get. I can't belive how much off a loss in value there is from new to used with minelab. Could it be there that overpriced to Begin with? I seen a SE pro go for $720. that's a $500. loss to the guy who bought it new less than a year ago. If I were to sell my 250 that is almost 3 years old I would only take a $20 to $40. loss from what I bought it for new.

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
I suspect the depreciation comes from the fact that minelab continually upgrades their units more than any other company. Most people, including myself think wow - the XS was like 5 models ago - must be old technology. It's good to find out that the XS was ahead of it's time. Whether the upgrades make a huge performance difference or not, lots of people just want the newest one - and therefore they dump the old one quick- there is nothing wrong with that either, it's a hobby and if I had the money I would do the same thing. I don't, so I'll be one year behind to save some bucks! However, I must say, that ETRAC seems to have some significant upgrades that may justify the purchase!

Ian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread