What's new

Extra Lithium ion batteries and airlines/TSA

Joined
Aug 8, 2024
Messages
138
Reaction score
300
Golden Thread
0
šŸ†˜ a little help please. Booked a week to Ft Lauderdale beach and bought new scoops etc. First time flying with a detector. I’m pretty nervous about bringing the Xterra Elite with lithium Ion battery. I got a designated carry on bag just for the detector and headphones, padded with a hard shell. Has anyone flown with a Minelab and are there issues with the TSA or JetBlue ? I could bring a whites with AA batteries but prefer the Elite. Any help appreciated. šŸ–ļø
 
JetBlue operates to essentially the same rules specified by TSA. Devices with installed batteries (cameras, phones, laptops etc) are permitted in both checked and carry-on luggage, but spare (uninstalled) lithium batteries and power banks must be in carry-on bags only. Batteries must not exceed 100 watt-hours (Wh), though larger ones up to 160Wh may be allowed with prior approval.

Spare batteries must be protected from short circuit (original packaging, tape over terminals, or in separate bags).

Checked Baggage: Generally prohibited for spare, loose batteries, or power banks. Devices containing batteries may be checked if completely powered off and protected from activation.

Capacity Limits:
<100 Wh: Allowed in carry-on and checked (if in device).
100–160 Wh: Max 2 spare batteries allowed with approval.
>160 Wh: Generally prohibited.
 
JetBlue operates to essentially the same rules specified by TSA. Devices with installed batteries (cameras, phones, laptops etc) are permitted in both checked and carry-on luggage, but spare (uninstalled) lithium batteries and power banks must be in carry-on bags only. Batteries must not exceed 100 watt-hours (Wh), though larger ones up to 160Wh may be allowed with prior approval.

Spare batteries must be protected from short circuit (original packaging, tape over terminals, or in separate bags).

Checked Baggage: Generally prohibited for spare, loose batteries, or power banks. Devices containing batteries may be checked if completely powered off and protected from activation.

Capacity Limits:
<100 Wh: Allowed in carry-on and checked (if in device).
100–160 Wh: Max 2 spare batteries allowed with approval.
>160 Wh: Generally prohibited.
Thank you for that. I scoured the internet for hours and found lots of self contradictory information. Yours is very clear and concise. Now I’m reconsidering the designated bag. I might just put the shafts (also a minor concern) and other parts and coils in my regular checked bag and just bring the control box and BT headphones in my personal item (backpack.). Any thoughts from personal experience? Anyone? Thank you again. I’m bringing a wrench in case they make me remove the battery.
 
I always put my detectors and sand scoop in checked bags, not carry-on. I tried that once with American and they told me I had to check the bag.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom