May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW......... Dad & I spent 4 lovely hours in the sun on the same field as yesterday.
This was our last shot on here before the crop would start to show, so it was a 1 hit weekend!
The hotspot we found yesterday had been gridded out, so on a hunch we skipped loads of runs & started higher up the slope.
I was happy enough with Dad's 1921 Florin which hardly ever show up, but what was to follow was amazing....

3 Jettons
1 Scrappy
1 Poor hammered Penny
Victorian Royal Artillery Button
Tudor Button
Gilt Leather Mount
Tudor Strapend
Tudor Dagger Chape
Frag of Roman Bracelet
Medieval Coin Weight

I got a hammered silver Anglo-Saxon Penny which is one of the earliest of this type minted, they only strated a few years earlier. Its Baldred 823-25, Moneyer DUNUN of Rochester, which on my coin is spelt DUN:N, so it might be a new die type.:thumbsup: (I will update)
This coin is EXTREMELY RARE & coins of this King typically sell for more than $10,000.:headbang:

It by far the most expensive coin I have found. Here is a little history:

Wiki: Baldred was King of Kent, from 823 until 826 or 827. Ceolwulf I king of Mercia, had ruled Kent directly, but in 823 he was deposed by Beornwulf, and at about the same time moneyers at Canterbury started issuing coins in the name of Baldred, king of Kent. It is uncertain whether he was independent or a Mercian under-king. In 826 or 827 he was expelled by Aethelwulf, son of King Egbert of Wessex, and Kent was ruled directly by Wessex thereafter.

UPDATE:
[FONT=&quot]Congratulations on this interesting find, which I have recorded as [/FONT]BLANK[FONT=&quot].

This is one of only three known specimens of this type for the Rochester moneyer Dunn (Naisimith R9.1). The three coins each have different readings of the moneyer's name - DVNVN, DVNN (V's inverted), and now, on your coin, DVNN.

The other two coins have an H after REX on the obverse. Is this the case with your coin also?
[/FONT]

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    241.5 KB · Views: 707
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 727
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 674
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 640
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    375.1 KB · Views: 692
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 742
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 691
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 702
Last edited:
Upvote 57

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the Banner Cru. You just keep making it harder for me to catch up ;). Thank you for continuing to set the bar with your fantastic finds.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much left to be said so, CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!

Davers

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big congratulations Cru, Big money coin too boot!

deodra

Mar 13, 2014
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
They were stolen
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW......... Dad & I spent 4 lovely hours in the sun on the same field as yesterday.
This was our last shot on here before the crop would start to show, so it was a 1 hit weekend!
The hotspot we found yesterday had been gridded out, so on a hunch we skipped loads of runs & started higher up the slope. I was happy enough with Dad's 1921 Florin which hardly ever show up, but what was to follow was amazing....

3 Jettons
1 Scrappy
1 Poor hammered Penny
Victorian Royal Artillery Button
Tudor Button
Gilt Leather Mount
Tudor Strapend
Tudor Dagger Chape
Frag of Roman Bracelet
Medieval Coin Weight

I got a hammered silver Anglo-Saxon Penny which is one of the earliest of this type minted, they only strated a few years earlier. Its Baldred 823-25, Moneyer DUNUN of Rochester, which on my coin is spelt DUN:N, so it might be a new die type.:thumbsup: (I will update)

This coin is EXTREMELY RARE & coins of this King typically sell for more than $10,000.:headbang: It by far the most expensive coin I have found.
Here is a little history:

Wiki: Baldred was King of Kent, from 823 until 826 or 827. Ceolwulf I king of Mercia, had ruled Kent directly, but in 823 he was deposed by Beornwulf, and at about the same time moneyers at Canterbury started issuing coins in the name of Baldred, king of Kent. It is uncertain whether he was independent or a Mercian under-king. In 826 or 827 he was expelled by Aethelwulf, son of King Egbert of Wessex, and Kent was ruled directly by Wessex thereafter

This reminds me of how cool detecting in Europe must be. Your average day could easily see you walking away with the youngest treasure of the day being much older than the oldest find we'll ever unearth here in America. Crazy.

tidetraveler

Nov 30, 2011
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on yet another banner! Great find!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats Crusader on the extremely rare find and for getting another Banner for the find! Us poor folk in North America only dream of finding even one rare item while you and your father find many almost evey week and sometimes twice or more in a week.

Frank

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Cru! I hoped to see the Penny up on top...and it is! Well deserved! :icon_thumleft:

berty

Dec 10, 2012
Do you do youtube videos of your finds
I think you would do really well on there as you always find cool things
I get paid for adds on my YouTube videos
And with the amount of people that would follow you I think u would earn a nice bit of extra cash

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UNBELIEVABLE:occasion14: Just curious,how deep is a coin that old ? I've said it before,I've got to go to england:notworthy:

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
However, I would prefer it in a Museum & get less for me & the owner than sell it to the highest bidder.

As Indy would say" It belongs in a museum!"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread