P4110003.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 72

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I notice they do not have any barbs on the points.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I notice they do not have any barbs on the points.

Perch is one use (depending on area of course) where no barbs are needed. In my area a one pound perch would be near the upper end of averages.
And places allowing spearing them is limited.

Shallow water through the ice. Pin the perch to the bottom till it tires or expires. A brief thing..

The method of fastening these pictured gigs hints of small fish. Vs larger ones that could roll/spin. Or fracture the wood handle the lag bolt is designed for.
A ferrule would help. Or wire wrapping. But leverage would still factor.

A "bridle" can be rigged by tying to the gigs head too. That allows tipping it toward the surface (of ice or water or boat ect.) and the fish is held by gravity.

Where allowed , the gigs would thump large bullfrogs well too. (!)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a lot of gigging in my younger years, but my gigs always had barbs. Not saying they don't work, just mentioned they didn't have barbs.

Albertaclipper

Feb 27, 2012
Central Alberta, Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat Thread as I just learned something new! Gigging.... I'm an avid fisher up here, and I have never heard of gigging. I just looked it up on youtube and watched Flounder Gigging! Looks fun, but not too sure if that would be legal up here....Thanks!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I did a lot of gigging in my younger years, but my gigs always had barbs. Not saying they don't work, just mentioned they didn't have barbs.

I took the plunge and looked up the difference between spear and gig.
That didn't help.
Anyways , we're picky about barbs here on pike spears. The commercially made with a cut bent out to make a barb are frowned on by those who can aquire better.
Perh is about the only smaller fish we can spear. And those get a spear with no barbs. Or very small ones.

Here's an example of a perch spear. (And a gig can have any number of tines. So can a spear. While a poor harpoon...)
So the difference is likely in what you want to call the action and fishing... More than the tool(s).L.o.l.. Pistol vs handgun type of semantics.
The picture shown has a flat piece the tines are welded to.
Shallow water pinning fish to the bottom ,no problem.
To thrust this type through deep water will invite "planing" of the spear greatly affecting accuracy.
41aEkvXeijL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
jwm45

jwm45

Sep 5, 2011
south texas
Detector(s) used
,f-5,simplex 2.68: simplex + 2.78
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This gigs were made for founders and bigger fish with large screw ,all made of stainless steel.They are heavy made! The gigs wit barbs are mainly for small fish & frogs.

OP
OP
jwm45

jwm45

Sep 5, 2011
south texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
barbs are made for small fish and if you live in the south they are also made for frog gigging.Ever had fried frog legs Hmmmmm yum,yum.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
barbs are made for small fish and if you live in the south they are also made for frog gigging.Ever had fried frog legs Hmmmmm yum,yum.

Fried frog legs are real good.

OP
OP
jwm45

jwm45

Sep 5, 2011
south texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COME TO TEXAS and go on a floundering run and see this baby in action made for 2------10 pounders or bigger.

OP
OP
jwm45

jwm45

Sep 5, 2011
south texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OOORAH USMC---60---64

Top Member Reactions