kilmer

Mar 30, 2005
Central Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3 , F75 LTD, CZ70 pro, Teknetics G2, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a surprise with some air tests last night. I have never put tremendous stock in them. But hey,
it is 18 below zero, what else are you gonna do? I bought a half dime and a three cent piece at a flea
market.
Last night I waved them both and here is what I found out. The half dime a sweet high tone sound,
vdi number 61. The shocker, coin graph indicator, zinc. So, pass up some of those nasty zinc pennies and
miss your half dime.
The other test was mid tone, vdi of 22, and graph indicator says, "foil". Immediately makes your mind
think back to those times you blew off zinc pennies or ignored foil. High temperature today was 3 above
so I guess I will have time to wave my large cent tonight. I guess the lesson, did those repeatable signals
and be prepared to be surprised in a good way.

HH, Don

Ain't it the truth Willy! Just freaked me out one time I eyeballeed a Canadian quarter at the park and waved the coil over it. Nothing, no signal, no prize! Picked it up and stared at it and willed it to make my CZ beep then through it down and waved again, no beep! It defied my will. Had the old CZ-5 then and was getting scared, had everything but iron on so I turned the knob, swung the coil and VOILA!

I fear the day when we revalue our currency here in the U.S. and decide to make it out of what it's worth...

But hey, then the dogs will be able to sniff it out so who'll need a detector?

Hey Kilmer, how far up was the coil from the targets in your air tests?

Targets were five to six inches from the coil. I did this in a real hurry without much thought to set up.
Unfortunately, Indiana winter is going to give me another chance to do airtest again and again.
The Canadian coin thing is unreal. I am glad I heard about it before i put a coil over one.
Would have probably broken the back up detector out or at least changed batteries.

HH

kilmer said:
Wow, what a surprise with some air tests last night. I have never put tremendous stock in them. But hey,
it is 18 below zero, what else are you gonna do? I bought a half dime and a three cent piece at a flea
market.
Last night I waved them both and here is what I found out. The half dime a sweet high tone sound,
vdi number 61. The shocker, coin graph indicator, zinc. So, pass up some of those nasty zinc pennies and
miss your half dime.
The other test was mid tone, vdi of 22, and graph indicator says, "foil". Immediately makes your mind
think back to those times you blew off zinc pennies or ignored foil. High temperature today was 3 above
so I guess I will have time to wave my large cent tonight. I guess the lesson, did those repeatable signals
and be prepared to be surprised in a good way.

HH, Don

Many old coins and jewelry pieces are missed because guys discriminate out foil. I tested a genuine 1714 8 reale cob from the 1715 fleet wreck off Florida and it sounded and read exactly like a piece of foil.

Today I dig almost everyting and often get a great surprise.

Badger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back