DSC01075 (Small).JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 8,632

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Some of the parts in there might be platinum or have plat alloyed in them... the rotor vanes?

A LOT of extra money if you separate a few pieces....

rmptr

supergenius

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2008
Curious if you were able to acquire that to scrap. I've often thought about starting an aerospace scrap co., but didn't know if all the co's and the gov't already had outlets for that kind of thing.

Any details are appreciated.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Most all that aerospace/aircraft/military salvage stuff is accessible online, SG.
Along with their terms and conditions.

There's a whole raft of people actively involved in that biz.
You gotta know exactly what you're looking at to make a profit.
One particular model may have X number of pounds of some metal in it, but the design was changed for others that look exactly the same, if you get my drift...

Bidding will require a bond, and some lots will require DOD background check and additional bonding because of sensitive military nature. Destruction by some specific method will be required.

Some auctions will need to be paid for cash, or with cashiers check on that same day, and many require the property be removed from the premises that same day, or perhaps within 3, 0r 10 days, depending...

It will be more difficult these days, because you'll need to spend quite a bit more for the fuel to keep your truck motivating.

Best

nmfj40

Greenie
Oct 8, 2006
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Spectrum
You will have to be careful how and where you scrap those parts out. In the aerospace business like any other there are parts that are deemed scrap and someone could possibly try and sell them as refurbished. We were required to track our s/n and make sure they got to a scrap dealer that would destroy them. Most those engines are titanium and inconel which are costly to make and will get a good price for scrap. In the commercial aviation business you can NOT mix parts with military parts and some scrap dealers try and sell them anyway.
Dont mean to sound negative, just be cautous when selling scrap turbine engine parts.

skippy

Greenie
Aug 2, 2007
I've read about certain parts (rotors maybe I'm not sure) having brazing high in precious metals - definately something to investigate!

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Active: Jul 14, 2008, 07:35:07 PM

goldsilverpro

May 31, 2007
I'm not sure about all that being from an F8 engine. I see a fuel manifold that looks like it came off a JT3D engine. It's those darker six sided nozzle clusters in the top right quarter of the photo - 2 of the clusters are visible. If so, the interior parts of the manifold are held together with an 82/18, gold/nickel braze.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Ha! Ha!

1st post, and Mikey is building an alternative fuel vehicle in his garage! ;D

Ha! Ha!

I don't blame you for trying, Mike.

Good luck
rmptr

michaelbiggs

Nov 10, 2008
Not hardly. I am in the scrap metal business. Turbine engines are one of my specialities. It really should be left to the experts.

By the way, stagflation sucks.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
I'm just joshing you, Mikey. ;D

Yup, hard to get money for scrap when manufacturing is cut back.
It's a tough business.

...and just to show you I know 'something' about it.... All you can do is sort through and condense the best of your stuff, waiting for the price to go up, and hope the county doesn't enact some new cleanup program.
After a while you're stuck with a growing transport and labor investment in it... waiting for that price to go up...

Scrap will take off again when manufacturing has a need and mining has been shut down and the mills are cut back.

Good luck, Mike!
rmptr

OP
OP
B

bobby

Tenderfoot
Apr 17, 2008
Re: Gold ores

This are the copper-gold ores in my land, any interested miners are welcome for a site inspection and sampling extractions for the ores..

Attachments

• DSC01459-1.JPG
    DSC01459-1.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,792
  • DSC01455-4.JPG
    DSC01455-4.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 1,769
  • DSC01597.JPG
    DSC01597.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,745
  • DSC01588.JPG
    DSC01588.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,791

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you can take the jet engine apart piece by piece an seperate it you'll get more money , but if you can transport it whole check around the scrap yard get the best price an off it . :icon_thumright:

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Man, that J57 was a big one, and noisy. I worked on the com/nav, fire control radar and ECM systems when I was a pup in the Marine Corps a life time ago. The F-8 was the last of the "pure" gun fighters. 4, 20mm cannon said so!
What memories!

BW

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, those were the good ol' days. Can't give our weapons names like "Crusader" anymore. It upsets the enemy. Did you ever scrap this thing?

TURNMASTER

Oct 13, 2009
Spokane WA
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705, Explorer SE, & At Pro
One would have to wonder if the turbines were on his property. Lots of dollars there. Even today the volume of high Nickel alloy would carry a significant value. Not to mention the Ti.

I would have a hard time believing that the value of the brazing materials would be worth the time to extract. True story?

Jeff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions