What's new

Facinated by CRHing , a couple of questions

Argentium

Gold Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2008
Messages
9,079
Reaction score
5,580
Golden Thread
0
Location
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings all , I'm relatively new to CRHing - A few observations , this hobby is a lot like gold
prospecting -- we "miners " have found ways of concentrating the precious metal , and
streamlining the process of recycling the waste (clad) for new batches of unsearched material.
The combination of machine and human ignorance , seems to insure the steady (albeit random)
supply of silver . I see numerous comments on the part of CRHers to the effect that " the silver
is really drying up " this is a reflection of frustration not an accurate picture of the silver supply.
If you doubt the veracity of my last statement consider this , At the same time one CRHer is
anouncing the end of findable silver , another on the same page is posting L J style results,
dream rolls , or dream boxes . Let me say for the record , that I have never scored a dream
box and only one dream roll in two years of very sporadic CRHing . Last week I tried volume
hunting (6 boxes) for the first time , found 2 bens , a 64 ken , my first walker , and 25
40% kens . The same volume yesterday yielded a comparatively meager 17 40% kens.
Yesterdays boxes were heavily innundated with rolls displaying the felt tip marking in the
ear of Kennedy , I do find it interesting that a volume hunter would take the time to earmark
his or her reject - when the time could be better spent recycling rejects into new material.
I welcome your comments and insights --- Argentium.
 
Upvote 0
Well alot of it has to do with area. When I first started this over a year ago I was consistently finding 5-6 silver per box. Now I am finding on average 2-3 silver per box. My ratio of 40% to 90% is still about 12-1. Most of the "LJ" style finds as you refer to them are from newer members or from some extensive road tripping. Most of the people that have been doing this for a while have gotten alot of the silver out of their areas. The newbies with the big finds are tapping into unsearched areas or where there just isn't alot of competition.

You compare it to gold prospecting, here in the midwest all we have is glacial gold. Once we find that gold its not being replenished. Sure the occasional BIG flood can redeposit some just like somebody cashing in grandpas coin collection.

The silver is drying up, and as some CRHers go to extreme measures (20+ boxes a week) the banks are becoming harder and harder to deal with. Between dwindling supply and angry banks I honestly don't think that this hobby will last too much longer.

A year or so ago I posted about doing dimes vs halves, and most of the responses were that dimes just weren't worth the time. Today there are dozens of CRHer on this board posting their dime finds. Somebody even got desparate enough to try out CRHing in Canada.
 
So far this year I have only gotten one 40% Kennedy, I think theres too many old people in my town that are hoarding them...
 
cedarratt said:
So far this year I have only gotten one 40% Kennedy, I think theres too many old people in my town that are hoarding them...

Old people die, leave silver to younger generations who take it to the bank and deposit it not knowing what they have on hand. Either cherry picker tellers cull it or it gets shipped to the fed and rolled into rolls and sent out to banks where the dreamers like us order boxes with the hope that we find hundreds or thousands at a time.

The cycle of silver coins continue, just like the cycle of life.
 
I love searching dimes, always having good luck, but I have to get at least 6 silvers per box to break even on gas, so i quit. Yes, lots of fun, cheaper to buy 'em (for me.)
 
All of the silver has now been found. Please stop searching now. ;D

Seriously though, I agree with much of what Packfan said. More hunters=fewer finds. Remember the bison? They about got wiped out too.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom