May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still trying to come to terms with finding a coin which until now has not been known. A coin which not even the British Museum hold in there collections, or any other Museum. :tard: I have a responsibility with a coin like this. If any other are found, mine will be the one they compare it to, therefore should it be in a museum. I will have to think this over, as it stands we will be giving the farmer a fat cheque to keep it. (our word is our bond).

Anyway, back down to earth today with the usual stuff:
9 scrappies
1904 Sixpence
Nice Livery Button
& bits.....

Another 10 man hour (Dad & I) day well spent :icon_sunny:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 547
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 556
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 535
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 534
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 525
Upvote 0
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
savant365 said:
Does a single coin that rare fall under the Treasure Trove rules?

Single gold & silver coins don't count, its only when you get 2 or more. ;D

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
nice stuff :thumbsup:

i like the sixpence, and i can see the rope on the livery button you were talking about!

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I can see why you are having such a tough decision then. Is there a way you can loan it to museums and still retain ownership. I would probably have to go that route if it was available. Good luck, Charlie

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At night I have dreams about recovering just one "scrappy." Those are the Best dreams. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
savant365 said:
I can see why you are having such a tough decision then. Is there a way you can loan it to museums and still retain ownership. I would probably have to go that route if it was available. Good luck, Charlie

I have thought about loaning it, but unless it went on display I wouldn't bother. As if it were in a cupboard until people wanted to study it, then it can stay with me & they can request it & I will take it in.
I could display it in the local Museum, but its a small affair & they haven't the proper insurance.

I've thought about selling it to the British Museum (hard decision, as I don't normally sell stuff), with the understanding at they make exact copies for me, the Farmer & the Local Museum. This way the farmer gets his fair share.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
CRUSADER said:
savant365 said:

I have thought about loaning it, but unless it went on display I wouldn't bother. As if it were in a cupboard until people wanted to study it, then it can stay with me & they can request it & I will take it in.
I could display it in the local Museum, but its a small affair & they haven't the proper insurance.

I've thought about selling it to the British Museum (hard decision, as I don't normally sell stuff), with the understanding at they make exact copies for me, the Farmer & the Local Museum. This way the farmer gets his fair share.

not yet though, ehh!

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
they have to be there? keep at it

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The livery button is a great find. I have never found one of those. Its silver plated?
Large too. Also nice 6 pence!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOODY50 said:
The livery button is a great find. I have never found one of those. Its silver plated?

People often describe them as silver plated, I'm not convinced, but I'm unsure what the metal is :icon_scratch: I never find them tarnished/blacken & I have many of them.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tymcmurray said:
Nice collection, AGAIN!

This was last week, but I'm ready to go out again today, to the same field. Probably (if weather holds) will finish this area tomorrow :-\

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
WOODY50 said:
People often describe them as silver plated, I'm not convinced, but I'm unsure what the metal is :icon_scratch: I never find them tarnished/blacken & I have many of them.
Hmmm interesting. The only other thing I could think of is then crome plated...

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOODY50 said:
CRUSADER said:
WOODY50 said:

Same thought as me, but that would mean they were croming in circa 1830s & I thought croming was later (but I'm not sure)

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
WOODY50 said:
CRUSADER said:
WOODY50 said:
Same thought as me, but that would mean they were croming in circa 1830s & I thought croming was later (but I'm not sure)
1830 could have been the date because Volta created the first practical battery in 1800. With batteries people experimented
with the idea of what electricity was and how to use it. To plate you need direct current.

I remember seeing an article in a National Geographic magazine, where in a dig in Egypt they came across what only could be batteries :
"...they also found batteries in ancient Egypt. It was a clay bottle with an iron pipe and a copper pipe, and if you put acid in it, it will have
an electric charge. Ancient history is much more complex then it seems."

In the article they thought they then had an answer to some questions over materials that the had found earlier that looked crudely plated in
some way. I never followed the article though.. So who knows really who invented the battery (even crude) and electroplating...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions