Failed Oil-Seed Rape - Day 1 - 2 Hammered + CELTIC SILVER & Fibulatastic...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After 2 low yield, no silver days we are back on it.:headbang:
The Roman Metal Working field had a large area of failed oilseed rape & they re-drilled it with late Spring Beans. The near 50 acre area is over 1000 metres from the edge of the Metal Working scatter but it did include a crop-mark which was thought to be either Roman/Celtic. We had tried this area before & found nothing, but it now became our next best option, after trying in the morning close the the Metal Working area. We tried to get as close as we could to the Metal working area by doing some smaller patches of failed crop & a footpath - we managed 3 scrappies.

After lunch we tried a large area grid over the area we think the cropmark is. (according to reports 200 metres by 300 metres) We soon started getting 1st AD Roman Brooches (Fibula) & 1 coin of Claudius. After Cru'dad got the Romano-Celtic Ring & I got the La Tene brooch (Fibula), I started to believe a Celtic Gold was possible, this made for an exciting hunt. Although no gold was found, Cru'dad got our first Celtic silver of the year. (1 monkey off our back, they are pretty hard to get)

6 Hours:

4 Scrappies
17th C Spoon handle bit
Medieval Buckles
Medieval Dagger Chape (one of my best of this type)
2 Jettons
Medieval Leather Mount
5 1st C AD Roman Brooches (Fibula)
1 Iron Age Celtic La Tene Brooch (Fibula)
1st C AD Romano-Celtic Ring Bezel
2 hammered - cut half of Henry III & Ed I Penny
RARE - Celtic Silver Unit, circa 45BC Corieltavi tribe, Proto Boar Right & Horse Left (Ref: ABC1797)

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 41
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG