Failure Trends

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Does anyone have any wisdom on failure causes? I have a Garrett I bought maybe 20 or 30 years ago, cost like $250, for investigating old housing sites on my dad's farm. Worked great for that.

It has not been used in years. I tried it last visit to the States, the battery case was, Glory Hallelujah, empty, but no sound with more than one coil after putting in new batteries.

I used to work on old radios, and bad electrolytic capacitors were a common failure mode. Is there any common trend like that on old detectors?

I can use it now. I am located about 100 yards from a 300+ year old house, with legends of buried treasure, etc. I would rather fix an old one than buy a new one cheap enough for my retirement budget.

Not too many answers on this thread, but thought I'd throw the question out, since the cost is right.

I am back in the States, I hope briefly. I got a chance to look at the old detector, and found the on/off switch bad.

It is on the end of a potentiometer, and when you turn that pot on, the power is applied.

My SIL thinks it is either cheap plastic, or some kind of cardboard material. I am trying to decide if I will simply wire across the switch contacts and plug and unplug the battery pack to turn it on or off. I do not expect to easily find a replacement part.

To check it out, I am sure I will jumper it. I might also add a DPST switch via a new hole in the side of the case.

piegrande said:
I am back in the States, I hope briefly. I got a chance to look at the old detector, and found the on/off switch bad.

It is on the end of a potentiometer, and when you turn that pot on, the power is applied.

My SIL thinks it is either cheap plastic, or some kind of cardboard material. I am trying to decide if I will simply wire across the switch contacts and plug and unplug the battery pack to turn it on or off. I do not expect to easily find a replacement part.

To check it out, I am sure I will jumper it. I might also add a DPST switch via a new hole in the side of the case.

Just wondering what kind of Garrett it was and if it worked out for you with the repairs?

I must admit I don't know the model number. I said 20 years ago, but it was more like 25 or 30 years ago, and by memory it cost over $200 that long ago. It had three coils, including a very large one. It was not a bottom of the line machine, though today it would be junk, I suppose.

Due to many things happening, I did not finish the repairs, and left it behind in Texas.

My views have changed, and when I find a way to do so, I want to get a GTI2500 with dual box capacity. I still might try to fix that old machine, but things get hectic during my short stays in the US each year.

Where do you go outside the states and why couldn't you take a detector with you?

I live somewhere in Mexico, location not disclosed because I post often on the local legends of Moctezuma's treasure being buried here. While I am not saying it is, or even that it exists at all, I am saying there are valid historical reasons it COULD be here if it exists.

As far as I can tell, I can indeed take a MD with me. The one I want runs around $1200, and there are limits by Mexican customs on total dollars imported, without very expensive customs brokers being used.

I am not sure if an MD would be included by customs as electronics, which has a different limit.

So, it is a case of finding out, on my one month a year trip. Or, perhaps buying one at higher price in Mexico City and avoiding customs totally.

Also, $1200 for retired folks does require some planning financially.

That's very cool!!! Don't know anything about Montezuma's Treasure but it does sound intriguing. Maybe take a piece at a time. I know all about retirement and stretching funds. I've been thinking about taking a trip to Panama or Peru just to see the sights.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back