Fairytale find,,,LOOK !!! swear to God, true story

Indydigger

Greenie
Jul 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wanted to share this story with all my fellow hoosiers, because I am so irritated at finding NOTHING with my md since I started 3 months ago.
I am 32 yrs old, but 22 yrs ago when I was 10, I made a FIND. Most of my young childhood my father would go to my grandparents to play eucher. My grandpa lived right next door to my great grandpa (my aunt Dorothy and an uncle lived with my great grandfather also). So anyway, I went behind my Great grandfathers garage and just sat down and started diggin with my hands, just gettin dirty, bein a boy. After a while I felt somethin hard in the hole, so I uncovered the top of it & saw that it was a CHEST. Looked just like a real treasure chest, with the domed top, had a a leather strap on each side of it about an inch & half in from the very edges. So bein as young as I was, first thing I did was run in and tell pop what I found. So him and my grandparents all came out, also with my aunt Dorothy and my uncle. So we pull this ( 20 in. long X 6 in. wide X 8 in. tall ) trunk out of the ground and my aunt Dorothy takes it, saying it was on her property. About 3-4 years ago my father tells me "She opened it up, and it was full to the top with silver coins", didn't tell me what kind, but he told me she spent every one of em. Isn't that swell...So as soon as I got a metal detector I went over there diggin to no avail.
I'm just aggravated at findin' nothin', I mean I live in Greenwood & it's so cram-packed there's no room for md-ing without cop harrassment. Everything that was old there has somethin new built on it, or down deeper than a well diggers ass. I figure that find is a once in a lifetime thing for me.
Anyway, the area I found that is on S. Keystone Ave. Off S. Keystone exit, come down past the Sarah Shank golf course, and its one block before Raymond St. If any of my fellow hoosiers find anything else in that area, good luck & happy huntin.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I must ask why wasn't the chest opened before your aunt took it away? I mean come on it's all believable except that part, it sure as hell wouldn't have left my sight without me seeing what was in it I don't care how old I was. Oh I live just a little west of Keystone on Troy Ave so the place your talking about is very & I mean very close to me. If your gonna detect in Johnson Co. I think around Franklin is your best bet not the Greenwood area as it's too developed & not as old as Franklin which was even part of the underground railroad. There is the whole section that flooded & the city bought all the properties up because they were in a major flood zone, this might be a great place to search now or soon as most of the houses are gone now & soon it will all be a park or greenspace.

I'm up early today as myself, a friend & his wife (who happen to live in Franklin, they are renting detectors for the day) are going to Martin Co. to an area I've been wanting to hit for a while now. I've done alot of research on old "ghost towns" here in Indiana & there are places possibly excellent places to go if you research enough! Oh BTW Monument City near Ft. Wayne is exposed right now for the first time in like 60 years as the reservoir there is lower than it's ever been, there are 4 old towns under the reservoir but Monument City is the only one exposed, I hear even old roads are visible along with foundations & what not. I think that area would be prime hunting ground if you don't mind a good drive.

Last edited:

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PM sent... & Now I've been reading you can't take anything from the Monument city site? But I have also read about coin finds that have been made there recently so I dunno what to think or believe! Moorse Reservoir is 6+ feet low & many areas/coves are empty, don't see how you or I could go wrong searching the dry areas there.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2013
Indiana, Martinsville/Columbus
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey I live in columbus and a really good place to go is white land and there is a lot of Indian relics there arrowheads and such so the fields there are great for getting out and detecting

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You do know you won't find arrowheads with a metal detector right?
Hey I live in columbus and a really good place to go is white land and there is a lot of Indian relics there arrowheads and such so the fields there are great for getting out and detecting

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Warshrike

Nov 1, 2009
I am moving to Greenwood from Noblesville next week. Anyone can hit me up for some hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread