fake?

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
I know it's extremely hard to I.D. a piece from just photographs, but I would love to get some opinions on this thrift store find from about 15 years ago. It was priced very modestly, so I don't think anyone was trying to pull one over on someone.
One of these days, I will get it to an expert, but in the meantime what do you think-real or fake?

Picture 1 front
Picture 2 back
Picture 3 number 12 on both parts

Attachments

• IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    804.2 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    724 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    716.3 KB · Views: 89
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
I sent Gary at Hanover Brass an email and asked him if this appeared to be one of his reproduction plates. His response was "looks good." I'm not quite sure what he meant by that, and I'm not going to bother him again.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gary Thomas and I have had a mutually respectful friendship for around 40 years. (Been a long time since we went digging together, but hey, we're both in our 70s now.) When he says "Looks good" it means the buckle or plate looks to him to be an Original, not a reproduction.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Gary Thomas and I have had a mutually respectful friendship for around 40 years. (Been a long time since we went digging together, but hey, we're both in our 70s now.) When he says "Looks good" it means the buckle or plate looks to him to be an Original, not a reproduction.

WOW!!! Wouldn't that be nice!!!!! P.S.-just turned 74 myself in November. Thanks so much for the info!

Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am glad I was wrong. Lately I have been wrong more times than right. I am a young 70!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
I am glad I was wrong. Lately I have been wrong more times than right. I am a young 70!

I wouldn't say that you are necessarily wrong at all-just voicing your opinion! I'm certainly still not certain about the thing, In fact, I have showed it to some of my collector friends and gotten differing opinions. Until Gary or some other expert can actually hold the object in their hands and/ or take some measurements, etc., the jury is still out. I truly respect Gary's opinion, but I can't expect him to give a final judgment based on just a couple of pictures. The same goes for you, and I just really appreciate your taking the time and effort to help a fellow collector out! Thank you!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread