Fallbrook

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
N 41° 40.646 W 076° 59.138
18T E 334722 N 4615867

Fallbrook was named in 1860 and by 1862 had 1400 residents. Fallbrook was complete with shops, schools, and many houses. John Magee, owner of Fallbrook Coal, found coal along Fallbrook Creek, and he built The Fallbrook Railroad and connected it to the Corning and Watkins Glen Rails in New York. By 1900 the coal ran out, the Company moved on, and everyone left. All that is left today is an abandoned park, complete with a railing around a waterfall, a couple of houses that are now camps, and a fairly large cemetery. Other than those things, you would never be able to tell there had been a booming town here. Some areas are still scarred from mining, and Fallbrook Creek still has it's characteristic rust colored substrate from Acid Mine Drainage. Today Volunteers are working stream by stream to nuetralize the acid in all of the Acid water in the area by putting in diversion wells with limestone. The cemetery is maintaied by volunteers as well!

Attachments

• Fallbrook PA.jpg
    Fallbrook PA.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 361

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
Gypsy,
Thanks for the posting of Fallbrook.
I live within 45 minutes of there. I have been collecting any information that I find on the area.
There is a nice small state park near Fallbrook. We go there often for a picnic or camping.
I hope to get time next summer to look around the area more and also do some detecting.

I hope you and your family have a real nice Christmas.

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
baspinall,
Thank you very much for the link.
This area does have some interesting history as well as a lot of other ares near by.
All connected to coal mining.
Hope you have a real nice Christmas.
Clayton

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread