Fan's Roman Site Day 8 - Metal Working Site Day 26 - 2 Hammered...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Light showers most of the morning but the wind dried us pretty quick.
Did 3 hours gridding on the edge of Roman Fan's Site, we are now passed the main known scatter & in to no-mans land. We are going to use the same strategy as the other end & just keep gridding a large area that we have never done.
4 Scrappies
2 1st C AD Roman Fibula
1966 Racing Pigeon Ring
Iron Age (Celtic) Bronze Unit (Coin) - Very poor condition but the first of the year, & I hope it shows we are still in a good area for a silver or gold.
Stunning 2nd C AD Roman Fish Plate Brooch - Never had one & I saw it's tail poking out the surface & plunked it out. Bent & holding on for dear life, another pass of the plough may have bust it.

After lunch we only did 1.5 hours on the big grid, because it was getting very sticky & we had nearly killed ourselves digging a huge 3ft deep by 2.5ft wide hole. (some kind of drainage cover)
2 scrappies
Bit of a Roman Military Buckle
2 Hammered - Ed I Penny & Ed III? Halfpenny

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 20

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did 3 hours gridding on the edge of Roman Fan's Site, we are now passed the main known scatter & in to no-mans land. We are going to use the same strategy as the other end & just keep gridding a large area that we have never done.
4 Scrappies
2 1st C AD Roman Fibula
1966 Racing Pigeon Ring
Iron Age (Celtic) Bronze Unit (Coin) - Very poor condition but the first of the year, & I hope it shows we are still in a good area for a silver or gold.
Stunning 2-3rd C AD Roman Fish Plate Brooch - Never had one & I saw it's tail poking out the surface & plunked it out. Bent & holding on for dear life, another pass of the plough may have bust it.

After lunch we only did 1.5 hours on the big grid, because it was getting very sticky & we had nearly killed ourselves digging a huge 3ft deep by 2.5ft wide hole. (some kind of drainage cover)
2 scrappies

View attachment 2013891 View attachment 2013892 View attachment 2013893 View attachment 2013894 View attachment 2013895
Interesting fish plate brooch Cru'....a possible sign of Christian belief? 4th century? Just curious. The 3-4 ft hole must have been fun...you have to dig those signals...you never know right? Thanks for sharing. Always interesting. 👍

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting fish plate brooch Cru'....a possible sign of Christian belief? 4th century? Just curious. The 3-4 ft hole must have been fun...you have to dig those signals...you never know right? Thanks for sharing. Always interesting. 👍
It's 2nd C AD, but it could be a very early 'secret' sign of Christianity. Not sure.
Yes, you need to dig hoard like signals in this area.

Last edited:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome finds. love the brooch

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done on the two hammered and the really cool Fish Plate Brooch, first one I've seen.

Got to love the big hole digs, but I admit they take a bit out of a person doing them.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4 Scrappies
2 1st C AD Roman Fibula
1966 Racing Pigeon Ring
Stunning 2-3rd C AD Roman Fish Plate Brooch - Never had one & I saw it's tail poking out the surface & plunked it out. Bent & holding on for dear life, another pass of the plough may have bust it.

2 scrappies

View attachment 2013891 View attachment 2013892 View attachment 2013893 View attachment 2013894 View attachment 2013895
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE:
Just checked Hattatt's Book & the Fish is 1 of 4 types all from the 2nd C AD. In fact this type I think looks the best of all the 4.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love that fish brooch

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
4 Scrappies
2 1st C AD Roman Fibula
1966 Racing Pigeon Ring
Stunning 2nd C AD Roman Fish Plate Brooch - Never had one & I saw it's tail poking out the surface & plunked it out. Bent & holding on for dear life, another pass of the plough may have bust it.

2 scrappies

Keep it up Crusader. Awesome coins for sure and I’m partial to the fish broach! Congratulations!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread