What's new

Far field gives up some oldies and a silver pin

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2018
Messages
2,054
Reaction score
12,086
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mountain Maryland
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1
I went back to the 2 fields (26 miles away from home) where I found the 1 reale hoping to get lucky. I got there and there was some kind of group in the pavilion. No one was on the fields so I went to a far corner away from the folks and started swingin. I found a couple of goodies and was working a grid when a woman come up to me and told me they were holding a girls camp and said they needed the whole field. She asked me to move to the other field. I wasn’t happy about it, but I didn’t want to make waves that might get my ability to detect taken away so I complied. I kept an eye on the field as I worked the upper field and they kept all their activities in the lower third of the field. I would’nt have been in their way if I had stayed, but I was stuck with the situation. I decided to go back the next day and work the grid more hoping that the 3 oldies were not the only ones in that corner of the field.

On this day I spent 5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 64 coins with a face value of $5.12, a large cent, a flat button, a thimble, a heavy wire connector, an aluminum kiddie ring, a TV cable connector, an earring, a small modern lock, an aluminum A, a glass fuse, can slaw, foil, whole aluminum cans, aluminum bottle caps and 23 tabs.

DSCN4070.webp


The first 2 finds of the day were tabs. The next was a large cent down about 12 inches. It was not a great signal, but it sounded just good enough to dig. The next target was a mid tone thimble only 2 inches deep. The last from this grid before I had to move was a high tone flat button about 4 inches down. All of these in the first 30 minutes so you can see why I want to get back to the grid and didn’t want to move on this hunt.

The large cent is the first one I have found in almost a year. It is pretty toasty, but I didn’t use any water on it and was able to rub enough dirt off to see the classic head design. So this one was minted between 1808 and 1814. The date is totally gone.

DSCN4071.webp


The flat button is plain on the front so a civilian button. It has a back mark and some gold gilt left on it. Again no water and just a finger rub with a little tooth picking around the bent, but intact shank. It reads STANDARD ORANGE GILT.

DSCN4072.webp


The thimble has an open top which can be an older style, but the dimples are machine made so it was made after 1850. I used a dry toothbrush on this one in the field and around the base just below the dimples you can see a small amount of the original silver plating.

DSCN4073.webp


DAY 2
I went back to the far fields so I could continue my grid hoping more oldies would turn up. I spent 5.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 72 coins with a face value of $2.55, a large cent, some jewelry, a whatzit, a shoe grommet, a mashed roundball, a strange light bulb, can slaw, aluminum bottle caps, 2 horseshoes and 12 tabs.

DSCN4079.webp

IMG_0149.webp

The finds were very thin for the first 3 hours of swingin on the grid. Only about 15 coins, very few tabs and none of the oldies I was hoping for, but I did find the horseshoes. The next 2.5 hours it was penny heaven. Still not a lot of targets, but they were almost all pennies. Normally a lot of the pennies are zincs, but today I found 60 pennies and only 2 were zincs, the rest were copper made before 1982.

DSCN4084.webp


I did find another large cent, but it was along way from the one I found on Day 1. It is also toasted, but there is enough detail to see it is a matron minted between 1816 and 1839. Again no water used to clean. If I had used water all the dirt and details would be gone and o wouldn’t have a clue what kind it was.

DSCN4085.webp
DSCN4086.webp


All of the jewelry was found on my way up to the end of the field where I did the gridding (2 tie tack backs, an earring and a pin). The earring is a screw type and is cheapie. The pin was a nice high tone up in the roots of the grass. It is marked STERLING and has an S with arrows for a makers mark. The pin has broken off, but you a see the pin hinge and the keeper loop.

DSCN4080.webp
DSCN4081.webp
DSCN4082.webp
DSCN4083.webp


The whatzit is non ferrous and has a hole in the bottom. It might be the top of something, but I haven’t a clue what it is the top of.

DSCN4087.webp
DSCN4088.webp
DSCN4089.webp


NON DETECTOR FINDS
I stopped at the store on the way home. The coinstar was in use so I took my groceries to the truck and came back. The man was done and the reject pin was empty, but he left his plastic jar on the machine. I thought it should have gone in the trash can about 20 feet away so I picked it up and it rattled. I opened it and there were 2 Canadian quarters and a Costa Rican 50 colones inside. I put them in my pocket and put the jar in the trash. Sometimes it pays to clean up. I found a penny on the floor at the store as well.

DSCN4090.webp


There were a few pretty orange flowers on the edge of the field in the high weeds. They are called butterfly milkweed and the bees like them. I’m glad to see the bees. We need them as pollinators for our food supply.

IMG_0144.webp


A short week this week because of the holiday activities. We are taking a short trip to the beach after our family reunion on Saturday so I’ll let you know if I have any luck there. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
 

Attachments

  • DSCN4074.webp
    DSCN4074.webp
    1.6 MB · Views: 65
Upvote 19
Karen got you! They’re everywhere! She needed the whole 20 acres…just because.😜
 
Another large mix cool of finds - congrats !
 
DAY 1
I went back to the 2 fields (26 miles away from home) where I found the 1 reale hoping to get lucky. I got there and there was some kind of group in the pavilion. No one was on the fields so I went to a far corner away from the folks and started swingin. I found a couple of goodies and was working a grid when a woman come up to me and told me they were holding a girls camp and said they needed the whole field. She asked me to move to the other field. I wasn’t happy about it, but I didn’t want to make waves that might get my ability to detect taken away so I complied. I kept an eye on the field as I worked the upper field and they kept all their activities in the lower third of the field. I would’nt have been in their way if I had stayed, but I was stuck with the situation. I decided to go back the next day and work the grid more hoping that the 3 oldies were not the only ones in that corner of the field.

On this day I spent 5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 64 coins with a face value of $5.12, a large cent, a flat button, a thimble, a heavy wire connector, an aluminum kiddie ring, a TV cable connector, an earring, a small modern lock, an aluminum A, a glass fuse, can slaw, foil, whole aluminum cans, aluminum bottle caps and 23 tabs.

View attachment 2215304

The first 2 finds of the day were tabs. The next was a large cent down about 12 inches. It was not a great signal, but it sounded just good enough to dig. The next target was a mid tone thimble only 2 inches deep. The last from this grid before I had to move was a high tone flat button about 4 inches down. All of these in the first 30 minutes so you can see why I want to get back to the grid and didn’t want to move on this hunt.

The large cent is the first one I have found in almost a year. It is pretty toasty, but I didn’t use any water on it and was able to rub enough dirt off to see the classic head design. So this one was minted between 1808 and 1814. The date is totally gone.

View attachment 2215303

The flat button is plain on the front so a civilian button. It has a back mark and some gold gilt left on it. Again no water and just a finger rub with a little tooth picking around the bent, but intact shank. It reads STANDARD ORANGE GILT.

View attachment 2215305

The thimble has an open top which can be an older style, but the dimples are machine made so it was made after 1850. I used a dry toothbrush on this one in the field and around the base just below the dimples you can see a small amount of the original silver plating.

View attachment 2215306

DAY 2
I went back to the far fields so I could continue my grid hoping more oldies would turn up. I spent 5.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 72 coins with a face value of $2.55, a large cent, some jewelry, a whatzit, a shoe grommet, a mashed roundball, a strange light bulb, can slaw, aluminum bottle caps, 2 horseshoes and 12 tabs.

View attachment 2215308
View attachment 2215313
The finds were very thin for the first 3 hours of swingin on the grid. Only about 15 coins, very few tabs and none of the oldies I was hoping for, but I did find the horseshoes. The next 2.5 hours it was penny heaven. Still not a lot of targets, but they were almost all pennies. Normally a lot of the pennies are zincs, but today I found 60 pennies and only 2 were zincs, the rest were copper made before 1982.

View attachment 2215314

I did find another large cent, but it was along way from the one I found on Day 1. It is also toasted, but there is enough detail to see it is a matron minted between 1816 and 1839. Again no water used to clean. If I had used water all the dirt and details would be gone and o wouldn’t have a clue what kind it was.

View attachment 2215315View attachment 2215316

All of the jewelry was found on my way up to the end of the field where I did the gridding (2 tie tack backs, an earring and a pin). The earring is a screw type and is cheapie. The pin was a nice high tone up in the roots of the grass. It is marked STERLING and has an S with arrows for a makers mark. The pin has broken off, but you a see the pin hinge and the keeper loop.

View attachment 2215309View attachment 2215310View attachment 2215311View attachment 2215312

The whatzit is non ferrous and has a hole in the bottom. It might be the top of something, but I haven’t a clue what it is the top of.

View attachment 2215317View attachment 2215318View attachment 2215319

NON DETECTOR FINDS
I stopped at the store on the way home. The coinstar was in use so I took my groceries to the truck and came back. The man was done and the reject pin was empty, but he left his plastic jar on the machine. I thought it should have gone in the trash can about 20 feet away so I picked it up and it rattled. I opened it and there were 2 Canadian quarters and a Costa Rican 50 colones inside. I put them in my pocket and put the jar in the trash. Sometimes it pays to clean up. I found a penny on the floor at the store as well.

View attachment 2215320

There were a few pretty orange flowers on the edge of the field in the high weeds. They are called butterfly milkweed and the bees like them. I’m glad to see the bees. We need them as pollinators for our food supply.

View attachment 2215321

A short week this week because of the holiday activities. We are taking a short trip to the beach after our family reunion on Saturday so I’ll let you know if I have any luck there. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom